Ryzen 2700x Stuck at 549mhz after Suspend

Greetings.

I’m currently running Ubuntu 20.10 on my system with a Ryzen 2700x CPU I recently picked up. The mobo is an Asus Hero VI. Everything works wonderfully, except for one issue. When I suspend and then wake the computer, the system is incredibly slow and laggy. Barely usable.

After some digging I found that the CPU is stuck at 549mhz after suspend (as reported by cpufreq-info). Rebooting the system brings the clocks back to normal. cpufreq-info reports in the 2.2ghz range after reboot which is the correct lowest speed step reported. The CPU governor is set to performance both before and after the suspend/resume cycle.

I’ve also discovered that if I try to manually overclock to 4.2ghz by setting the multiplier to 42 in the bios, the system will boot with the CPU clock at 549mhz even though cpufreq reports the governor has the ability to go to 4.2ghz.

I also tried booting Manjaro on a live usb to see if the latest kernel had any impact on the situation, but I got the same 549mhz result.

I’ve looked around the web and found a variety of posts talking about similar issues, but nothing recent and specifically for Ubuntu (a lot of Windows stuff).

Any help is much appreciated!! Thank you

Sound like you are dealing with some BIOS bugs in regards to the over clocking stuff. I would recommend firmware update on your BIOS.

In regards to suspend and hibernate, these are known issues and is still being working on in the kernel. Your hardware should be mature enough to not run into this issue. The main issue tends to be a poor ACPI implementation by the mobo makers and not actually the Linux kernel. Again. I would point you at updating the firmware on your board first. Then make sure that you are running a newer kernel, at least 5.2 and that you have the linux-firmware distro equivalent package install.

1 Like

Many apologies, but with the Pandemic and the holidays I totally forgot about this post. As of today, I have updated to the latest BIOS and I’m running the 5.8 series Linux Kernel. Still issues. On occasion, the system will start in this mode from a resest or cold boot, but more annoyingly suspend is unusable because the system always wakes stuck in the 500mhz range. From looking around the Internet, this seems to be a fairly widespread issue that affects every line of Ryzen CPU’s and various motherboard brands. It also seems to affect Windows systems as well. I have seen various recommendations about power profiles and BIOS settings, but none seem to fix the problem. I find it amazing given the number of posts I’ve found about this that there isn’t a fix for it or more noise being made about it. Maybe it isn’t THAT widespread, but it doesn’t seem to be a bunch of nothing or driver nonsense either.

1 Like