Ryzen 2700 vs 2700X for Real World Use

What’s up my dudes… remember me? No? That’s ok.

Hey I got a question for you guys. With the 3000 series around the corner, I’m watching prices of the 2700 to see if they come down even more than they already have in the last month and thinking of pulling the trigger on one if I see a deal good enough. I’ve already seen some in the sub $200 dollar range.

But my question is, for someone like me, who isn’t really a power user, but I do use my PC for everything, and I’m not one to tinker around or overclock or even upgrade that often. Gaming, Graphic Design/Art work, Streaming, Maybe some video editing, is about all I plan on doing with it. Is the performance increase from a 2700 to a 2700X even that noticeable? I’m not talking about comparing benchmarks, just “feel” which I know is completely subjective, but I think some of you know what I mean.

And as a followup question… My current plan is to buy an X570 to drop this 2700(x) in and eventually one day upgrade to a 3000 series or newer if the socket still supports it, but is that a dumb idea?

Only reason I’m thinking of doing this is, I don’t want to have to upgrade my motherboard 3-4 years from now in order to take advantage of (theoretically possible) future PCI 4.0 tech. Yea, I know it’s impossible to future proof anything, but that’s why I’m asking? :rofl: Is this a dumb idea?

1 Like

I don’t have a direct comparison (R7 1700X vs R5 2600).
There is no noticable difference in daily use.

Might be that the XFR in the 2000 series is better, so it might make the X parts a bit snapier in web browsing and office (think big spreadsheet) applications.

2 Likes

Well, it exists. If you’ll notice it or not is hard to say. Boost clocks are kinda close, base clock is a bigger gap. So you might see less performance in rendering tasks or stuff that hits hard on all cores.

2 Likes

Well this is not really a dumb idea perse.
But it’s kinda depending on the price difference between a 2700 and 2700X.
If that price gab is more then $100,-, then i would personally go for just the 2700.
Simply because you want to upgrade to the Zen2 cpu’s anyways.
And the 2700 will be more power efficient also if that is a concern.
Yes there will be a difference between the 2700 and 2700X.
The 2700X simply has higher clocks, and there for will be likely slightly better in tasks like rendering etc.

However ¨if ¨that difference is significant enough to justify lets say a $100,- difference in price, is kinda doubtful i guess.
Especially if you are interested in upgrading to the new Ryzen 3000 cpu’s anyways.

Also keep in mind that the new X570 boards will be more expensive that you might used to.
This is because upgraded vrm implementations on certain higherend boards to support the upcoming 12 core cpu.
And the costs of the X570 chipset and pci-e 4.0 complexity.

1 Like

Yup…

Short answer - no…
Long answer - noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo…
Ok ok… If they are the same price - sure, go for the 2700X, but in general 2700 will do just fine. I have 1700X and I see absolutely no way 200MHz gap to 1800X would change the experience for me.
You can easily invest the price difference into faster ram and actually gain some ground performance wise so the gap is even smaller.
In general I would say no, but again, if the price difference is 10$ - maybe think of getting the faster CPU…
On the other hand maybe hold on for 3000 and see how it does in the reviews and maybe consider one of them…?

Short answer - yes
Long answer - yeeeeeeeeeee… Ok, it’s not funny anymore.
X570 are said to be crazy expensive. MSI are buttering the public by stating multiple times AMD is not budget option anymore and AMD is back in High end prices and performance and X570 will not be budget friendly platform.
You can get fairly decently priced X470 boards, miss on a PCIe 4.0, meaning skip nothing and use the rest of the money maybe to invest directly into the CPU…

Still my best advice will be to hold on for a month and see what the pricing and performance of the new platform and CPUs will be.

3 Likes

Yup :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not a dumb idea at all

Heres the thing… Get the 2700X for better IPC and clocks… It wont make much of a difference but the X is a better binned chip and higher quality. It will give you an edge in gaming however not in multimedia applications and content creation tbch

superior chipset though?

You mean 3700X?

I was comparing the OP’s posted CPUs but yes the 3700X would be best for X570

Just asking because you mentioned better IPC and that is not the case between a 2700 and 2700X.

true should have stated better SCP

I don’t have a comparison between '2700 and '2700x, but I have 4 VMs (2 of which are Windows Server 2019 instances) running around the clock on my '2700, and I’ve never had a performance issue using the desktop with 30+ Firefox tabs, Slack, etc. open at the same time.

With this in mind - within reason, I definitely believe either of these are totally capable of real world use cases.

If gaming is a thing i’d be keeping an eye on the 3600x vs. 2700x pricing - if you can wait. Better clocks, better IPC, sure 2 less cores but the clock/ipc will probably out-weigh that.

The 3600x will likely be faster for gaming and probably “just as fast” for everything else if not faster in things that aren’t perfectly threaded. And depending on IPC gain, maybe even faster in things that ARE perfectly threaded than teh 2700x due to clock+IPC gain.

I say that as a 2700x user - i run “everything” on it and have no complaints. Compared to the i7-6700 (non-k) i have at work it feels a fair bit snappier.

Obviously if you can stretch/wait to a 3700x that will be faster again, but don’t rule out the 3600x because AFAIK it is likely going to be priced cheaper than the 2700x and will very likely out-perform it (whilst having the other goodies like better memory support, PCIe 4, lower power draw/better cooling, etc.).

2 Likes

The main difference between 2700 and 2700x is the sustained clock speed when all cores are 100% active.

Browsing the web, playing games, office applications are light loads which use four or fewer cores, and those not nearly 100%. So the 2700 will boost clocks almost as high as a 2700x. In those cases you will not feel any difference.

Heavy loads like physically based computer graphics rendering, video transcoding, numerical simulations (e.g. Folding@Home) that fully load the processor for hours or days on end, is where you will feel a difference between 2700 and 2700x. But even then the 2700 is already quite a powerhouse, within maybe 25% of the 2700x.

On the plus side, the 2700 is much more energy efficient under full load.

1 Like