Ryzen 2 CPU

I want to buy a ryzen 2 CPU probably the 2700x but don’t really want to change my Asus hero 6 motherboard which I love. Is this ok or will I be missing features that would justify a £250 spend in uk?

What CPU do you currently have?

It might not even be worth it to upgrade at all depending on what you currently have.

I assume he has the ASUS Crosshair VI, which can be considered as one of the better X370 boards. There was a similar discussion concerning the ASUS Prime., where I mention that I’m running a 2700X on my ASRock Taichi. My conclusion is that my board seems to hit the same clockspeeds as the new X470 boards, so you should me fine in terms of your CPU’s speed.
However, functionality like StoreMI is a different thing and you need to know whether you want/need something like that or not.

a 20$ feature that can be bought separately can’t really justify that purchase, in my humble estimation.

If the OP is interested in actual bonus features relative to what you have now, wait for the rumored upcoming z490 premium boards, and keep your c6h until then.

I have the ryzon 1700

Just be sure to check that there is a BIOS update and perform that update before you upgrade your CPU so you don’t get stuck with a non-posting system. No real need to upgrade the motherboard.

Personally, I don’t think the 2700x is worth upgrading from the 1700. (I’ve got one on my primary machine)

I don’t want to hound you for your decision either, I just don’t think that such a modest increase in performance is worth the price tag.

2 Likes

I agree, it dont really concider it being worth it really.
Unless he lost the silicon lottery with his 1700 chip.
2700X definitely has improvements on memory overclocking and performance.
But it isnt really worth it i guess.
I would rather trow that money towards other hardware.

Also with X370, you will mainlly miss out on StoreMi.

For me it made a world of difference in my scenario. I had an early 1700 that wouldn’t OC past 3600mhz. I have it running a win10 vm 24/7 and have given it 4c/8t. By upgrading to a 2700x, my cinebench score increased by 20% in that VM.

This is a limited, special case scenario. For me it was worth every penny.