Ryzen 2 (3000) doesn't boost to its rated max boost clocks. Der8auer approved

Der8auer just released his you tube video on testing the Zen2 CPU’s and says that only the 3600-X reaches its max rated boost frequency. The 3700X, 3800X and 3900X cannot reach its max rated boost clocks.
I still think these CPU’s are going to be great but, if i purchase a CPU based on what its clock frequency is and then find out that it just can’t hit those clocks, i would be disappointed. With the massive improvements in IPC I wouldn’t be to worried about performance though. The Zen2 CPU’s are looking like the new productivity Kings
Zen 2 seems great for the price but for a decent X570 motherboard, the prices are high and off-sets the deal you get on Zen2. Best to stick with X470’s, or B450’s high-end motherboards.

4 Likes

I think they can hit near that, but are just like 100mhz behind. I saw some video this morning showing that.

Contradicted themselves from first sentence to second sentence.

This was initially true, but after endless fiddling I could get it to work on some boards. I’ll have a other video about this.

In terms of cpuz benchmarks the 1t performance was anywhere from 480 to 550 depending on combinations of board and uefi posted to the public internet. That’s kind of a huge swing and will make a difference in reviews.

But it’ll be sorted here in short order. I asked AMD about it the day I got my press kit.

In the end on the 3900x I could hit 4.5ghz all core with 4.5-4.6 on 1t at 1.45v and monster cooling.

3 Likes

Well the 4.6ghz boost clock is at single core only. Afaik there isn’t an all core boost clock mentioned anywhere. I think people get this mixed up a lot, just like Precision Boost vs Precision Boost Overdrive.

1 Like

I dont really like his channel hes misinforming people completely. Its because PBO is trash right now and sometimes the best solution is manual control including states

it takes a lot of fiddling with the voltages and preventing electro migration. I dont think it has much to do with delidding and I dont recommend it at all. They use good thermal paste to begin with and largely any differences we see are a sample size of one so Im not sure thats very definitive

Whats the best you were able to get on the 3700x with the Aorus x570 I?

with what, manual oc or auto-boosting?

Currently the sweet spot of auto boot performance is no pbo, voltages all set to “normal” instead of pbo and memory downclocked to 3533 (instead of 3600) with IF set to match for 1:1. I tightened up the primary/secondary timings and currently have a memory latency of ~66ns, which is pretty zippy. I see boosts over 4.4ghz and all-core boosts of 4.1-4.3, though it will get up to about 75c with the relatively weak cooler.

At 3600 and beyond something kicks in that produces a lot of heat and limits boosts in this config.

PBO is set to disabled.

this board also worked great with the 3900x but not in the dr zaber pc

1 Like

Auto boost, thanks! Do you recommend using this tool to help with memory frequency/timings? https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

I think my XMP is just simply not ideal. I have noticed ~4.2ghz in games, but just short of 4.0ghz in cinebench. I’ve never seen a boost above 4.35ghz, not even for a split second. This is with auto voltage as opposed to normal, so I’ll do more testing to follow your settings as best I can. You seem to be getting the best performance out of the 3700x so I’m keeping a close eye on your stuff!

Your 4.5ghz, was that press box? or one you picked up yourself? Cause mine won’t go beyond 4.2ghz all core.

Both retail and press. The retail CPU is even a bit better. Check my screenshots for the perfect setup thread

1 Like

Do you still not have a crosshair viii? Last we spoke or atleast the way I understood it you didn’t have one. If you have one can you tinker with it and the 3900x?

I just got one! It’s terrible! Sorryz not the news you want I’m afraid. I wasted over *four hours * trying to just get it to work at stock.

Changed every voltage. It was not a good experience. New uefi just dropped butni haven’t tried it yet.

Is the new uefi 0702? I think that was released shortly after launcher, then re released. I had updated to 0702 right after I bought my motherboard which was a like 4 days after launch.

I just threw 1.35 at it manual and I’m installing Windows now. I can update with my findings when I get further if you want.

That bios is confirmed to have been posted at launch and again a few days ago. Same bios number just a larger bios file. Wierd. Same stock voltage settings.

Sure yes. I think vddio and soc are also all over the place

I updated to that bios that was released thinking some settings were changed. Stability is no more. Handbrake crashes the computer even with a manual voltage of 1.3. I think asus mobo might have a severe flaw. Now the system keeps rebooting. Bootlooping.

I have no memory overclock.

Well I spoke too soon. Got to desktop and started installing drivers and after reboot can’t get to desktop again. It’s getting too lat for me though. I’ll have to mess with it more in the morning.

For reference I am on the out of the box bios.

EDIT, I think it was actually a monitor issue instead. Not sure why but it boots fine when I turn it off and then wait for boot.