Ryzen 1700x with new mainboard bios showing -20C° temps?

Yes like 5C° or more some times I also had the thought if shows the -20C° it must be at 60C°real temp and 10C° or something like 50C°

If I render a video cpu temp drops from -20C° to -6,88C° and 6,50C° and it goes lower after time even to -5C°

So that tells me that most everything is good with that sensor, the signal amplitude is just reduced massively for some reason, thus giving us such a low reading.

If you have a thermometer(digital multimeter maybe?) you can measure the following temperatures at least twice, once at idle and then at load under Prime 95:

1. ambient temperature
  2. radiator temperature
  3. Base of the CPU casing that's still visible just underneath the cooling block.

You should then end up with 4 temperatures (idle & load) for 2 test points and 1 ambient temperature that one can use(with some known thermal parameters for the 17h(Zen) CPU's) to calculate a scaling factor for the negative temperatures :wink:

So to temp offsett is not calibrated....It mostly harmless but you could rma it

if shows the -20C° it must be at 60C°real temp and at -10C° or something like 50C°

yeah looks like it will wait if the cpu dies I will send it back there is enough warranty time ;D

No No No
-20C is a smaller number than -10C :wink:

In all probability since you are using water cooling it's likely sitting idle at around 30C~40C (-20C) and then rises to 50C~60C (-6.5C and higher) under load.
I'd say that's with a roughly 5C margin of error on the upper limit.

1 Like

Did a liveastream and played witcher and watched the stream with 3,8ghz oc cpu is not throttling guess i'm fine ^^

Not sure if this would help but from a Crosshair VI Subforum at rog.asus.com:

I just found the SenseMI Skew setting in the bios of C6H and turned it off. Now My CPU temps are reported 20c higher. This will make more sense when tuning fan control.
I think that the Motherboard doesn't properly set the offset skew for R7 1700. 1700x and 1800x have +20c skew in place from the factory and this setting is fixing it. What ends up happening with R7 1700 is that temps are reported too low unless this setting is set to disabled.

Thread:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93215-Temp-reporting-shows-decrease-when-temp-is-actually-going-up

edit: and what do you know, a later post in the same thread:

My temperatures were all out of whack with the early BIOS versions. If I over-clocked and left SenseMI on, my processor idle temp was often in the negative range. Turning off SenseMI fixed that on those BIOS. And in the more recent versions I've left it on and my temperatures are normal now.

1 Like

Thanks will try that :slight_smile:

Thats pretty cool.

1 Like

Phunny, real phunny.

1 Like

I thought it was.

Omg I fixed it I took the cpu out and put it back in now I get right temps so happy now

And it's showing wrong temps again I don't get it

So it just needed re-seating, bad contact somewhere. :ok_hand: Didn't someone already recommend that earlier though? Might have been one of those "Too obvious to even think of mentioning" things, since re-seating is a pretty standard diagnostic method for CPU related issues.

edit: ah already missed a new post, ok, definitely RMA that chip, seems like there may be a micro-fracture in a pin or something(likely the one dealing with the CPU's thermistor). Re-seating likely improved the contact momentarily, or it could be something within the chip itself, I guess.

http://imgur.com/a/LOOKT took a picture

Well, at least its not in negatives now, still if you can - RMA the chip. If after RMA the issue exists, it must be the board instead.

edit: is SenseMI still on or is it off, seems like the higher the cpu clock the lower the thermal indicator...

I didn't find it yet where can I find it in the bios? @Megalomaniak

Yeah, I've been looking through the motherboard manual and can't see any references to it, might not be exposed in the bios interface, but if it is there it's likely hidden in the advanced mode(F7), now the real question is what would ASUS name it? Could be named Sense MI skew or Sense MI offset, or ASUS might not have exposed it at all/yet for this board. :confused: