Ryzen 1700x with new mainboard bios showing -20C° temps?

Well then. It looks like the CPU internal thermistor is likely not correctly calibrated or has a manufacturing defect that caused it's resistance to be lower than it should be.

Depending on how the temperature scales under load it may be perfectly functional and outputting a proper linear temperature range and just offset by some Degrees C or broken and reading an incorrect temperature range ( non-linear).

I'd say Run Prime 95, the temperatures should easily go above 0C after about 30 minutes.
If so the sensors is probably fine to use and just offset.
But if you aren't comfortable using it in that state you can of course document your problem and have it replaced.

EDIT: Where you running an AMD system on this OS before? Just to rule out old chipset drivers and configs messing with the current systems readout.

2 Likes

No had an intel system gonna do a new install on win10 tomorrow :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

He did say it was reading about the same in bios.

1 Like

I didn't read all the prior chat. Just the highlights :wink:

But believe it or not, there are situations where writing garbage data to the Super IO chip on a mainboard can cause even the BIOS to show an offset reading. But admittedly those are really rare.

1 Like

But this issue isn't with the SuperIO chip right? The invalid readings are the ones coming straight from the CPU

Viel Glück!

Der CPU thermistor is womöglich kaputt. Aber die CPU sollte immerhin gut sein. Mit wasser kühlung sollte das auch alles ziemlich sicher sein. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes. Those readings are drect via the CPU diagnostic/monitoring bus.

Although it seems the Asus Super IO chip is also co-opting some of that data directly (unlike on ASRock boards) as it's also reading a 0C temperature for the Core. (And not handling negative values at all)

Unless OP is trolling us and just running on Ice Water/CO2 or something :laughing:

1 Like

So gonna reinstall my OS now bios downgrade didn't help the cpu temp.sensor my laste hope for this now

Didn't help still shows -C° temps for the cpu

Time to RMA that CPU I guess

I strongly doubt the mainboard is to blame.

There's only one other place I've seen report this issue:

the 1700X and higher CPU's did have a +20 degree offset at launch. it like 2 programs are -20C stacking but it is weird I agree.

1 Like

The UEFI readout is doing it too, so it's a rather low-level (hardware/firmware) problem.

True but if the UEFI is software too. Could be a program error in the UEFI....I doubt the chip sensor is faulty but ir could be....I trend towards to more common failure

If it where the firmware I'd have found someone else reporting this problem too. Cant' find a thing out there, that somewhat reasonably rules out bad mainboard Firmware parameters.

You would think so but as nerd we are the only ones checking temps....I agree it is weird. If the CPU works well would you RMA it for bad temps ?

Side note does is temp change under load even if it is negative ?

Of course. Once the warranty period is almost over. :smiling_imp:

Yeah it does change, just hugely offset and incorrectly scaling @unexpected can verify that with some testing.

It's just somewhat risky to run a CPU with a bad sensors since it then looses any of it's inbuilt throttling and safety features and if your Liquid cooling systems fails or looses efficiency it's kinda hard to tell. XD

So, it's probably safe to do so assuming you manually check your cooling etc, but as a customer you deserve to get what your paid for, namely a properly working product, CPU thermistor and all.

1 Like

Don't know it works fine 100% even with some oc but it's really strange with the cpu temps only showing basically the offset temps.

What are some good cpu crushing benchmarks? Prime95?

Im linux so stress but prime 95 willl do the job

1 Like