Ryzen 1700x with new mainboard bios showing -20C° temps?

Since yesterday I have my new 1700x and asus x370 strix mainboard and some corsair 16gb cl15 3000mhz ddr4 ram
(running at 2133mhz) auto speed which mainboard itself selcted and some oc of the cpu which I did with the oc tool build into the mainboard asus bios ,the strange thing /problem is the pc boots everything is running fine games running good and everything else too but the cpu is not showing the right temp. either in the bios or the ryzen tool or hwinfo monitor where it shows 0C° for the cpu and 40°~ for the mainboard the ryzen tool is showing temps. from -20C° to -10°

as cooler I have a liquid all in one cooler with a 240mm rad. (it is for 300w tpd rated ). I tried bios with default settings and no OC for cpu and no right temps(the bios is the version 808), too like when it's OC.

Would be awesome if someone knows what is causing the problem ,and I had a asus h97 mainboard and core i5 before the ryzen cpu,mainboard just swapped out the parts don't know if that's the issue but everything is working except the pc showing me the right temps for for cpu ;(

1 Like

I'd try a fresh install of your OS (maybe on a separate drive) just to weed out any issues that would be caused by remnants of your old system. If that doesn't fix it I'd wager the problem lies in hardware, either in your motherboard or CPU.

Yes - you appear to have broken the laws of physics...

What temperatures are shown in the UEFI? A lot of people have had problems with temperatures not being displayed correctly in the OS.

1 Like

the os is 3 weeks old ;p don't want to install it new again.

Just read that you're seeing the same temps in your BIOS/UEFI. I'd reset that to factory settings just as a hail mary but it may very well be a hardware issue.

It shows temps from 0-15C° in the uefi.

I did that but it still showed the 0-15C°

Try a UEFI update if you haven't already.

Are your parts still within the return period? I'd get the CPU and Motherboard exchanged if so

EDIT: Also, as Zavar suggests you may want to try a UEFI update

1 Like

I have the bios from the asus website the 808 version it's the newest bios.the mobo and cpu are 2 days old.

Its likely you'll just have to wait for bios updates for it to work properly. Its still fairly new hardware and so there will be many updates in the future.

1 Like

I'm not worried that cpu will overheat with my liquid cooler maybe the bios update broke something for me gonna do a full windows fresh install at the weekend too I think .

1 Like

This isn't true, critical functions such as CPU temperature monitoring have been working on all ryzen motherboards since day 1. The fact that it's not for @unexpected most certainly means that he's encountering a hardware bug and should exchange his hardware.

2 Likes

Do the following:

1. Open Command Prompt or Powershell as Administrator (Windows Key + X then click the relevant option).
  2. Type sfc /scannow.
  3. Hit enter.

sfc is System File Checker and it will look for bad OS files and correct them if it can. If it finds none, yay. If it finds some, and fixes them, even more yay. If it finds some and can't fix them, you need DISM.

1 Like

thanks will try that :wink:

Just noticed my windows is now saying it needs to be activated didn't do that yesterday and i'm logged in with my microsoft acc like with my old mb and cpu ;(

Ok so lets diagnose a few things and see what sensors are affected.

First thing I'd like you to do is run hwinfo and generate some sane sensor outputs. HWmonitor and CPU-z related stuff (ryzen master included is fudging too much with the true numbers.)

https://www.fosshub.com/HWiNFO.html

Post screenshot of the CPU Tctl and TJ sensors section in particular.

Then run a benchmark and have HWinfo log to a CSV file while you do (Click the + button in the bottom right of HWinfo)

Post that file to pastebin or wherever and share it here.

With that info I will be able to see if it's just a bad voltage divider resistor on the CPU thermistor or elsewhere and it might just be offset from the true reading by a few degrees.

scan says everything is ok.

1 Like

You're probably right but do we know for sure that this is true for all boards? Many more have come out since launch and I'm not 100% about that.

You can just disable that sensor for now if you want but It should be safe to poll the sensor too.

HWInfo is going to be reading the temperatures direct from the CPU's monitoring bus.

1 Like

and you see there again the funny -C° temps