Ryzen 1700x monitoring under Linux?

This PC I build is for my friend. Now I just need to overclock it good so it’s stable and optimized. Right now for my self I am using Fedora 28 got it pretty good customized. Also keeps me learning new stuff for Linux.

The problem is the only thing I am able to monitor is clock speed and some kind of k10temp sensor that should/might be the CPU located somewhere. I need other stuff per core temp, Voltage??!?!?!, RAM info timings, RAM voltage, speed, etc. As soon as I move away from the BIOS I am in the dark.

Is this a universal problem? No support? or did I miss a driver/software for Ryzen. I am aware of the It87 driver but that doesn’t exist anymore for some reason.

System specs:
1700x @ 4.0Ghz, 1.365v, LLC 2
2x8GB flareX @ 3550Mhz 17-17-17-40
Asus crosshair hero 6
HD7970
Fedora 28

The k10temp sensor is the core temperature. Most BIOS report the CPU package temperature which is a bit higher under load (10C difference in my case). With the 4.18 kernel k10temp now reports two figures; both report the same temperatures but they are labeled differently.
For your motherboard sensors it will depend on what type of sensor your board uses. Most I think rely on the it87 kernel module, but it is old and poorly maintained. In most cases you need to compile your own patched it87 module that until recently was available at github, which is what I had to do for my gaming k7. The maintainer abandoned the project a few weeks ago and has removed the code.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.

I found it on gitlab:

https://gitlab.com/zockerr/it87

Seems to be the same code that was hosted on github. If your board uses this sensor then it should work. Of course, you will still need to figure out the correct values your sensors command will spit out.

1 Like

It works thank you for the link. I wouldn’t find it myself.

All I had to do after compiling is making a config in /etc/modules-load.d called it87.conf and writing modprobe it87 force_id=0x8628. With force_id=0x8628 being optional. For anybody looking for this.

For monitoring clock speeds on my Ryzen 1700 I use a single command:

watch -n 0.5 “grep -e MHz /proc/cpuinfo”

2 Likes

AMD Ryzen C6H Ubuntu 18.04 kernel 4.17.12-041712
in .conkyrc
CPU Temp: ${hwmon 1 temp 1}°C
GPU Temp: ${hwmon 0 temp 1}°C

these commands in the conky show my cpu and gpu temperature. I know it’s not exactly what you were asking for but at least you can see the temps

Yep that’s exactly what I am getting that’s the k10temp sensor plus the GPU. If you want more just do what I did if your motherboard has the it87. Three additional sensors started working with voltage reading.