Ryzen 1700 vs 1600X for streaming games

I was kind of leaning towards the 1500X because the 1600 does not include the wrait spice cooler and take the savings which are about 50 dollars more towards an sad upgrade. Also I am not going to over clock until I can afford a custom water cooling system. There are so many parts that need up grading I could easily spend 1000 Dallas on up grades. I am ashamed to mention how old the graphic card is, I will just say it's Nivida 500 something.

Cooler included.

Thanks for the info. I new one on the six core Ryzens didn't include an cooler so it must be the 1600X.

Right, the non-X comes with coolers.
If you get a good chip that overclocks to the speed of the X it's a great bargain. If not, it isn't.
Most have been able to achieve 3800Mhz-4000Mhz on the 1700 non-X, so it's a good gamble.
However, while this Spire cooler is quite good, I personally will not use it to overclock as I want to keep the thermals lower for 24/7 operation, especially as summer is coming soon. I would up getting an aftermarket cooler that was already compatible with the AM4 socket without having to remove the bracket and install the backplate ring.

I got this one for only $30:

Thanks for the info but I think I am going to stay with the included cooler and use the 30 dollars toward an ssd The computer I am upgrade doesn't have one.I will be very happy this stock. I only use it to play only one game (Star Wars Galaxies Pre Combat Upgrade), some light streaming, and video editing. I am not going to run it 24/7. If the Razen wasn't such a poor overclock I would probably purchase a aftermarket cooler. Also I am going with a B350 not a X370 motherboard and all the people I have talked to say if you are going to try and overclock you don't want to use a B350 motherboard. Also right now money is a really issue which is why I was really leaning toward the 1500X in the first place, but 20 dollars for 2 more cores that is very attractive.

I am sorry, I forgot to to thank you for your post, the only excuse for my bad manners I can offer is I was answering your post after being up for 20 hours with no sleep. So please forgive me.

I'm glad that you are not getting the 1500X, I really find this model disappointing, and the pricing is just stupid.
$20 for 2 more Cores? I simply don't understand why anyone would not choose the 6 Core.
The Wraith Spire is an excellent cooler if you are running stock frequencies as it is rated for 95w, and the 1600 is 65w--- it's a tremendous value! Intel stock coolers are simply criminal(if they even include one), and prior to the Wraith, AMD weren't much better.

@MisteryAngel
The overwhelming number of users never overclock.

Well yeah i personally dont really see that much of a reason why you should buy a X version with less cores, over a non X version with more cores really.
In the base they are all the same.
The X version just have an additional auto overclock feuture XFR.
But i personally dont really that much of a reason for that feuture,
since the non X versions are unlocked anyway.
How high you can overclock in the end mainlly depends on silicon luck,
cooling and motherboard quality afterall.

This has been a question for some time since the launch as we have rarely heard of a non-X not overclocking to at least 3900-4000Mhz, the former usually due to voltage and heat. I had wondered if this was not due to a preponderance of chips that were perfectly spec'd that had been downclocked and undervolted to make inventories.
The worst I've read about was 3800Mhz, but it is not known if this was due to other factors from the user.
However, it would seem that just about all these chips have the headroom, as scant as it is, to reach the X version.
Interestingly, it was a 1700X that had the low overclock.
The non-X versions do have a 50Mhz XFR Boost, which just goes to show how artificially gimped these overheads are.
These people that are using the Wraith and B350's are the most likely to be limited to 3800-3900Mhz.

Yeah exactlly, i have not seen manny complaints about people not being able to overclock a non X chip to 3.8Ghz / 4.0Ghz with a decent motherboard really.
So yeah in terms of value for money the non x cpuĀ“s like the 1700 and 1600 are a great value.
People who dont like to toutch overclocking, those could eventually concider a X version.
But basiclly to me they are just the same thing.
I would rather go for a non X 1700 or 1600 and spend that extra money towards a better motherboard.
Because cheaping out on a motherboard is something i personally never recommend.
Simply because the motherboard is one of the most important parts of your system really.

But yeah, thats mainlly because i personally do researches on motherboard vrm implementations and overall build quality pretty much since the X58 era of motherboards.
So yeah i kinda have a better view on that, then an average consumer i think.

Oh, well you might want to help @ManuG because he is presently frustrated with his VRMs.
Also, I think cheap PSU's can be an issue with current ripple.

What you said about people using the Wraith and the B350 motherboard is probably true, but when you consider my finational situation the 1600 makes more sense considering the fact I will be using a 350 motherboard, later on if I want more headroom I can always replace the 1600 with the 1600X or the 1700 and get a 370 motherboard if I want to overclock.

I would hesitate to recommend the four core for streaming. Go with the 1600, it will be well worth it if you plan to stream. I think I'm going to go with a 1700 just because it will be nice for streaming, if you can't do that I still wouldn't dip below a 1600 personally. I just feel it most likely wouldn't give me the experience I want for smooth streaming.

That is correct.
Streaming will definitely be better with the 6 and 8 core, but more importantly it will allow you to multitask and run other processes without bogging down your system.

Doesnt the 1500x also have less cache?

All the Ryzen part are overclocking fairly close so if thats you game then 1600 or 1700 dont buy the X. If you're using the chip as is out of the box the 1600X 3.6GHz turbo 4GHz is better to game on than a 1700 at 3GHz turbo 3.7GHz. AMD is giving everyone a free pass with overclocking.

1 Like

I have decided on getting the 1600 now I just need to decide what B350 motherboard and ram chips. Thanks all for the wonderful advice.

Avoid B350 if you intend to overclock.

They all have 20Mb of cache.
Except the 1400.

1 Like