Ryzen 1700 build (built)

Hello all, looking at getting back into gaming and was really keen to go for a ryzen build. Will be aiming for 1440p 60hz. Out of the loop on gaming hardware so some of my part choices are probably stupid. Was wondering if some gamers could give the build a once over and lay some wisdom on me.

Notes:
I would be looking at getting a noctua cooler at some point depending on how loud it is under load.

Also the idea behind the overkill power supply was more passive cooling goodness. But I could be totally wrong on that lol.

1 Like

Looks like a good build, I can vouch for the SSD too. The 850 500gb model is my daily driver. The 1070 shouldn't have too much trouble pushing 1440p for most games at 60hz. Although on some titles it might be a struggle to get a stable 60hz (i.e. possibly Witcher 3 or something else super demanding haha).

I plan on having a build very similar to this except I'll probably go for a mATX build instead.

Which Noctua are you thinking of for cooling?

If the main focus is gaming would an R5 build be a better investment? Would the saving also permit a 1080 purchase?

The Ryzen 5 series could be better for gaming, however, since the CPU's aren't available yet, it's hard to say exactly how they stack up against their Ryzen 7 counterparts. Wendell did some tests during their last live stream by turning off some of the cores and lowering the clock speeds on an 1800X. It'll most likely be a very close representation, but I'd wait until the R5's are out to know for sure. If you can afford to buy the 1080, I'd do it.

1 Like

That's a good mix of hardware you have in your list.

I would also echo BGL's and N0tnathan recommendation on something you should consider. With the R5's just around the corner... I would imagine that if your primary target for this PC is gaming, 8 cores 16 threads vs. 4 cores 8 threads would be pretty comparable.

If you could use the cost saving between the R7 and R5 processors to upgrade to a 1080... you will be getting much more bang for your buck in gaming performance...

Just my 2 cents :-)

I was looking at getting a NH-U12S SE-AM4, but am definitely open to recommendations.

@BGL @N0tnathan @Austiego thank you for the responses. I'm honestly thinking about just sticking with the 1700, but swapping the 1070 for a 1080. Which variant of the 1080 would you all recommend, im leaning toward the strix at the moment. I'm quite Keen​ for a cool/quiet running 1080.

Also with the bump up to a 1080 I'm assuming a 650w PSU should be fine still, what are your thoughts on that.

@GerkinYaGerkin The ASUS one is pretty good from what I've heard. Though the only thing I was worried about was the potential GPU sag in the case. ASUS has historically had some pretty heavy coolers on their graphics cards, but I see that this motherboard does have some of the reinforced PCI Express slots. I personally would be adding one of Puget System's GPU braces.

I've used these things in the past and have worked well for me. Not necessary with that board, but I always like to proceed on the side of caution.

Ah thanks for the GPU support idea, that one you linked looks really nice as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice all, settled with a 1080 strix and decided on a more subtle motherboard because of a one day deal I got. Time to build it all up :)

6 Likes

@GerkinYaGerkin You're welcome! :) Let us know how it works out for you. I'm interested in building Ryzen myself. Just waiting for a mini itx motherboard to come out to have a tiny build with a 1700 :)

That's one good lookin' tray!

I am absolutely thrilled for you, Gerkin :-)

Congrats man! You are going to have a system that you will be proud of for a long time!

Even the stock cooler should be fine for a nice little bump.
Have fun with it! :)

Up and running and loving it so far. Performs like a dream.

What a shame ill never see the rgb stuff in my silencio case, well at least it hides my cable management i guess lol

3 Likes

Can you by any chance refund the ram? Since it's a gaming machine, 3000+ Mhz ram would do wonders on that system. Supposedly the difference between 2400 and 3200 should be around 10-15 fps if not more

G.Skill has the Trident Z at 32 or 34 hundred mhz, which should be cheaper also then the lpx from Corsair

Thanks for the heads up, but i don't think i can return it. Though i could probably sell it to a friend. Definitely something to look at when i run into fps troubles.

Oops, i thought i didn't reply to you so i deleted my original post, only to realise i actually did reply to you. yay for duplicate replies.

Wait a week. The 1600 may be better suited to a gaming workload. Benchmarks due 11th April.

you want to get hold of some gskill ddr4-3200 c14 Ram instead of the corsair ram as Ryzen performance is directly related to Ram frequency. It is also more easily configurable at this time.

Take a look at the Asrock Taichi board. About the same price but better featured. You can adjust BCLK for better Ryzen tuning that you cant do on the Gaming 5. The Asrock boards all seem to be working without the same reports of automatically bricking themselves that have surfaced from Asus and Gigabyte boards.

These chips love top end cooling. Corsair H110i (square water block) has mounting support now. The Asetek versions with the more rounded waterblocks have support coming but I am not sure If it is available yet.

Edit: oops too late

I really like the looks of that wrait spire cooler.
How does it perform sofar?

1 Like

U'd been better off w/ an R5 1500X if all ur gonna be doing is gaming to shave off some of the cost but that's just my 2 cents though.