RX6800 vfio issue

I have no time to read the entire thread but I got a problem where I got stuck during boot after installing the AMD driver and the reason is that it seems AMD is using virtualization detection.
So you need to hide the fact that you run a VM from the AMD driver. How to do that you can look up here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Video_card_driver_virtualisation_detection

Ive tried now swapping the cards, but to no avail. I think its related to the mobo, had some weird issues with this: i reset it and then enabled vt-d but it wasnt enabled as per linux dmesg and lscpu.
needed to reset it again to get it back working. I think ill have to wait until i can get a new board and cpu, when the prices here in germany get back to normal.If there isnt anything obvios im missing, i think ill call it quit for now, and use windows on bare metal, because i need the machine for day to day stuff like CAD (unless theres a way to run NX under Linux nativly??).

Thanks for the Help to all,
i will post if theres anything new :grinning:

Just noticed you have enabled managed="yes"
Do you assign the card during the boot or you let the libvirt dynamically assign it to vfio-pci ?
IIRC Nvidia can work like this but older AMD card cant as the linux amd driver has problems releasing the gpu.
Cant say how it works for RX 6000 series.

Just noticed you have enabled managed="yes"
Do you assign the card during the boot or you let the libvirt dynamically assign it to vfio-pci ?
IIRC Nvidia can work like this but older AMD card cant as the linux amd driver has problems releasing the gpu.
Cant say how it works for RX 6000 series.

No i assigned during Boot.

In the mean time i managed to get a good deal on a r9 3900x and mb, tried again, everything worked pretty much as it should.I did need the hide kvm state. So i gues it was the MB.
Thanks for the help, looking glass is awesome, some minor bugs but this is the future.

1 Like
virsh edit *vmname* 
<features>
<hyperv> 
<vendor_id state='on' value='randomid'/>
</hyperv>
</features> 

f.e i put my mobo manufacturers id and my blackscreens went away immediately on RDNA2.

1 Like