Rx vega 64

So im farting around with a vega 64 card i found *cough “cheap”, but when just got it today so basically all i have done is install window$ and run heaven, but i did notice that the memory is running at a constant ~950Mhz throughout, is this just a bug where heaven doesn’t show the memory ramping up? is are the drivers/hardware borked?
I mean it runs fine and all, but it sortta suck when you read the specs it says something akin to boosting to 1600Mhz give and take some.

The memory is supposed to run around 950Mhz, 945Mhz is the common spec for stock V64.

The core boosts around 1600Mhz, not the memory.

Just the first of the litter google search(https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega-64-and-Vega-56-Specs-Prices-Power-Detailed). There is A long way from 945Mhz to 1800+
unless AMD actually launch their HBM as double bandwidth, so 2 x 945Mhz = 1890Mhz, which would be one of those “really amd marketing” situations.
Again is it a bug, or?

Just like with GDDR memory, the speed on that spec sheet is the “MHz total” between the two stacks of HBM. Per stack, its 945Mhz. “totalled” its 1890Mhz

It’s because data transfers can occur on the rising and falling edges of the clock pulse, so the effective memory speed is doubled.

2 Likes