RX VEGA 56 bad Ethereum mining performance (?)

Hello everyone,

I just got a RX VEGA 56 and I put it in an old PC to mine some Ethereum. However my RX VEGA 56 only reaches about 18MH/s using ethminer.

FX-6100
8GB DDR3
ASROCK 980DE3/U3S3
PowerColor Radeon RX Vega 56 Red Dragon
1TB WD Black HDD
Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 Bit

All I did was installing the latest OS updates, the latest chipset driver from AMD, ethernet driver and the latest graphics driver (18.7.1) from AMD. Overall the system seems to be running fine but 18MH/s isway less than I expect it to reach even at stock settings. I’d be glad to know what I’m doing wrong here :slight_smile:

Paging @KuramaKitsune

Is your CPU pegged? I know mining doesnt use a lot of cpu power, but the single core on that is prob pretty bad

1 Like

according to task manager the CPU sits between 0% and 1% load

Have you tried mining on your main rig with that gpu, might be a quick test to check. I know complexity changes over time but honestly dont follow crypto closely

not yet, but my main rig on it’s own scores about 40MH/s on ethereum. however this is a very different machine. if I don’t find a solution I will test that VEGA 56 in my main rig over the weekend.

my main rig:

R7 2700X
32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64
1TB SAMSUNG 960 Pro NVMe SSD
Windows 10 Pro 1803 64 Bit

power supply? and check the bios pci e settings & run ddu and install latest drivers.

The PSU is a Straight Power 10 600W from be quiet which is sufficient. I have no idea what PCIe settings I should check but considering most mining GPUs are run on USB PCIe riser I doubt there is a problem on my PCIe settings. No need to run DDU since it’s a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional with already the latest drivers.

there are known perf regressions with the (current) amd drivers and OCL. Either DL the blockchain drivers or find an older version of the adrenaline drivers to use.

there’s also the matter of stealing mom’s electricity and not making any profit. Maybe run boinc jobs instead of solo mining in a down market

oh hell no,
even with 5 1080s on a dual core

If that is the case I would not mine

pls stop stealing my GPUs.

poor people cannot afford these prices, I call dibs on the abundance of price drops after the new 1180 drops, not you miners.

Kidding, but dont get off topic or the mods will show up

4 Likes

I wish it was like that. I guess you’re one of the cool kids around here. Nice to meet you.

Do you really think me buying ONE RX Vega 56 is inflating the graphics card market?

Anyway I will take a look at older driver versions as @tkoham suggested. Maybe the results are different with the old block chain driver from last year.

But seriously though, do like 5 minutes of research. Eth is one of the worst things to mine on vega right now, and your PC is borderline (if not straight up not good enough) for keeping a node in sync because of their terrible optimization.

If you do want to be braindead about the whole process, consider using multiminer or nicehash. Vega is far better at Cryptonight/cryptonote, so look into that otherwise.

Might as well steal mom’s electricity optimally

1 Like

The money spent on a Vega 56 for mining would probably yield more when invested, but that’s none of my business.

heavily depends on what you do with it, and what your electricity costs

see: several counties in washington having to give up on their free electricity plan

Look, I don’t know what went wrong in your life but if you need help, feel free to pm me and I see what I can do for you.

As for anyone else trying to lecture me on how much sense it makes to mine some crypto currency, this is not the topic of the discussion. All I try to do is find out why the performance of the system is not what you’d expect from it. Just as @Adubs said:

it’s a joke fam, I gave you concrete advice.

Eth asics are hitting market in full at this point, there are other alts with much better returns.

Part of the reason for your degraded performance is that the dag is getting too big to keep in framebuffer, and I’m willing to bet your miner’s OCL kernel is nonoptimal, too

It’s true. This is far from optimal in terms of energy efficiency and earnings. I just want to do it to gain some experience. I installed Windows 10 Pro 1803 64 Bit today and with the latest Adrenalin drivers (18.7.1) it was at about 30MH/s. I downclocked the core to 1000MHz, set core voltage to 1000mV, overclocked the HBM2 to 900MHz and got about 33MH/s. @tkoham are you an active miner?

I’ve worked in and adjacent to the industry for years

my main function here is to stop people from posting their ICO pitches and cloud mining scams

The tl;dr is that there’s very little to gain with eth, even from an experience standpoint. Once asics hit saturation no one will even want OCL programmers or rom memory strap modders any more.

what the Monero folks are doing, as well as projects like ProgPoW, and Grin/Cuckoo, are far more interesting.

1 Like