RX VEGA 56 and RX VEGA 64: It's Finally HERE! (Unboxing Only) | Level One Techs

Yeah it doesn’t really go into detail (they’re not known for this kind of stuff either though so it’s fine). Wendell will test it anyway pretty sure :slight_smile:

He just uploaded the video and said its not working right now. that is just saying vega 10 can have sr-iov perhaps for those of us that want it the workstation versions of vega 56/64 will be at a good enough price point to justify it.

Weird thing is that dx11 GTA v was really good performance?

@wendell If you have time to do it.

• Get the latest linux / mesa code and get some AMDGPU (non pro) testing :smiley: phoronix.com suggests that it actually passes in performance on some games compared to the AMDGPU-PRO drivers and in some cases a Nvidia 1080

• It would be good to see how much of an effective difference there actually is between AMDs 4/580s and the new Vega cards and if there is a significant improvement to consider an upgrade and where (vega better for 1440/4k etc.?). (on any driver though im interested in the AMDGPU (open) drivers specifically)

• Some OpenCL testing on the PRO drivers would be good to see

It’s nice to see that AMD have specifically stated Linux as a supported platform on Vega

2 Likes

I saw the slide deck that contains that table on hardocp, and I don’t think it spoke of sriov support anywhere in that document. So while I’m sure Vega10 can, their wording doesn’t convince me that they’re certain they will, for RX Vega.
(Having said that, it’d make me quite happy if they would, etc.)

I grabbed amdgpu from amd and the performance was sketchy has heck on bone stock Ubuntu weirdly. Will have to investigate further

Pro? Or open kernel source?

There was an article about the hurdles to get it working before mainline let me find it.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=radeon-vega-setup&num=1

Seems to recommend amd-staging, mesa git, llvm git, and/or padoka PPA. Not sure if thats the setup you were testing against.

I had a similar setup when running my RX 480 on early AMDGPU code, all basically git branches of mesa,llvm,kernel to get the full opengl stack at the time (all are required).

1 Like

Its the same situation here. Except day 1 performance is way better.

Vega doesn’t really work with Linux Distro packaged deps OOTB quite yet, but the patches are being merged quite quickly.

1 Like

rough translation is the same story that has always plagued ati/amd, utter trash software/drivers.
There are flashes of very competitive hardware completely overshadowed by trash drivers across the board.
still on an old hd5870 1gig ref card (scythe setsugen2 cooler) and vowed never to buy an nvidea card after what they did to v5-5500 drivers after they bought out 3dfx, at this point nvidea could bury the vega offerings with 1 driver change enabling adaptive sync.
Either way unless the driver situation drastically changes in the next month I’ll be buying a 1080 (a 580 8gig would be plenty if one was available at retail, as is 1080 is next in line on current $/perf). hard simple fact is vega is looking to be to little to late, the hardware most likely is there, the drivers are utter trash, which honestly has been the standard m.o. going back to ati days

1 Like

I wouldn’t take @wendell’s reply as an explicit state of what the drivers will be.

As mentioned in my post, the drivers for vega are currently in heavy development in part because of the DC stack still being merged into the kernel. Hense why I was asking about the git branch code and amd-staging kernel code (a staging tree for pushing in the AMD code for vega before it hits mainline).

The only real thing id say at the moment is AMD have lagged behind in pushing drivers before/as new cards are released. You could argue why this is, I think its probably in part due to the small team, fairly huge amounts of code being worked on, and the linux kernel process in general which I think they’ve been getting the hang of over time.

2 Likes

my take on the subject is after watching a fair number of reviews with assorted benchmark results, really honestly don’t much care what the linux driver stack is doing as I don’t use linux for gaming, the end result either way is the same, decent to good hardware that took considerable expense to develop completely neutered by shit drivers, rtg wants to gain traction start with wholesale restructuring of the driver team, given the delays/late launch there is zero excuse for the drivers not to be spot on for launch.

100% agree, the open source everything is much, much better at this point. It is actually impressive, will have to revisit in a video soon.

The setup guide could be its own video though, its a mess