RX 7900 XTX on Fedora 37

Bit of an update from me. Been relatively stable with mesa-git 23.0 build with llvm16 and like above with rocm not supported yet, was looking at ways of running stable diffusion.

Stable diffusion with vulkan compute is possible, initial attempts failed, but seemed people had the most success with the vulkan-amdgpu-pro drivers. Which were in conflict with mesa-git. Since mesa 22.3 hit stable, gave it a go…

Better than on release but gnome crashes on start. Gdm logs the session never started. Don’t have the time to dig around so I’ll recompile mesa 23.0 and give it another go in a month. Hopefully by then 23.0 hits stable.

2 Likes

How did you install llvm16 on Fedora?

even more questions to you, how did you manage to get mesa-git? It fails to compile for me :frowning:

1 Like

There is a copr repo to get mesa-git on Fedora

Very interesting for what problems you have had on fedora. Using gentoo for my system, the only oddball stuff I had to do for general desktop software was manually grabbing the firmware since the upstream didn’t have the files committed to linux-firmware day 1.

Kernel 6.0 was what I was using at the time, and everything was fine.

The Vulcan backend wasn’t something I got working with pytorch for stable-diffusion, so I instead went down the deep rabbit hole of manually compiling rocm on my system. Besides that gauntlet of cmake fun, even stable diffusion has been fine.

1 Like

Anyone using manjaro or arch? It seems like then7000 series there was basically flawless also w

Ive been able use my XTX on F37 for a while, just still experience a bug here or there ( think has to do with display sleep/wake, not sure)

Are you sure? Seems like most of the issues opened for amdgpu and mesa are from arch people, so I don’t think it’s a different experience there.

From my experience on Fedora 37 (kernel 6.1.8 + mesa 22.3.4), it’s fine for daily usage (no wake/sleep issues, managable power consumption), opencl still kills the kwin within seconds, but works fine if you use it in a separate tty. Most of the games work fine, some kills it very fast, some takes a while, but also cause gpu reset.

Here. Arch works for the most part. Got torch working with the vulkan config but I had to use the amdgpu pro drivers. This of which crashes gnome so for the time being I have been using kde.
But if you install the latest llvm and compile the mesa drivers, it works well. Just have to specify to use the latest llvm drivers otherwise it tries to pull the stable version.

Sorry a bit of confusion. I’m on Arch, not fedora. I jumped in here as it was the active 7900 post

I think the latest Mesa, sdl, or firmware broke proton on my 7900xtx

My 6900xt can still launch and play portal 1 and 2 but my 7900xtx cant

Yeah it’s been tough to nail down a universal formula for the 7900xtx that’s bleeding edge.

Bleeding edge is nice because the perfs way higher. New plvm and mesa are nice. Hmmm. I’m not sure what to recommend to folks in the video

What’s funny is until now, it’s been working since launch

I’ve also seen regression since the last batch of updates; don’t play portal but I’m seeing visual artifacts in CyberPunk that weren’t there before. Interestingly they look a lot like what Luke from LTT was seeing with spectral highlights on the Arc card he was testing.

Horizon Zero Dawn was also playable before (with the exception of some textures occasionally failing to load in resulting in transparent ground, resolved by fast traveling to a different biome and back) but now crashes completely as soon as I enter the world.

Both of these run fine if I force them to run on my 6900XT with DXVK_FILTER_DEVICE_NAME=GFX1030 but that kinda defeats the purpose.

I’m still seeing device hangs and driver resets in Firefox with acceleration enabled as well, though running with software rendering has been stable.

yeah i just fired up the benchmark on CP77 and i see it too

I opened a support case with steam about portal maybe they can help devs narrow down what package update caused the issue.

1 Like

Mesa 23.3.5 seems to have solved my Firefox issues (touch wood). Yay, progress!

2 Likes

Yep, can confirm

I have the 7900 XT and it was just a drop in replacement to my GTX970 over on fedora.

I also had issue with the mouse being functioning but invisible. Switching to wayland from Xorg makes it visible again.

I updated to amd-gpu-firmware-20230310-148 in Fedora 37 and after the computer freezes when i start a youtube video in firefox. As soon as i downgraded it works fine again. Anyone else saw this issue?

I still have amd-gpu-firmware-20230210-147.fc37.noarch

You must be on the testing or rawhide branch?