RX 580 + R5 1600 Freezing bug on Linux/BSD

Hello all,

Over the past few weeks, I have been playing around with getting Linux or BSD on a secondary SSD (960 EVO) in my main rig with an R5 1600 and RX 580, and so far, I have tried KDE Neon, DragonFlyBSD, FreeBSD, Gentoo Linux, Arch Linux, Void Linux, and NixOS. After spending some time with each, I found that all of them displayed a weird freezing bug where the system would completely lock up at random, requiring the reset button to be pressed. I have never seen it resume and have let it sit for more than 30 minutes before. Looking at the logs on these various distributions, it seemed to be something having to do with AMDGPU, but they were too vague for me to pinpoint anything in particular. This is a log from my Neon install where I believe the crash occurs, but I can’t be sure.

I have settled with an old kernel version in KDE Neon for now, as I found that kernel 4.15-39 did not have any freezing issues. When the system upgraded to 4.15-45, I started to see the same freezing bug as other distributions. I tried giving kernel 5.0 a shot via Ukuu to see if the bug was fixed, only to find that now Xorg won’t launch at all, I just get a complete system lockup on startup behaving in the same way as before. Same with the Wayland compositor Sway, and I saw this 5.0 bug on Arch Linux as well. I have no idea if they are linked. Right now I have set my bootloader to vmlinuz.old and initrd.img.old so that I can stick to 4.15-39.

Here is some information that might be relevant:

Any thoughts?