RX 580 / AMDGPU Tearing

Good Day,

I am running an Arch Linux system with an RX 580 using the AMDGPU drivers on my system. I seem to get screen tearing after changing settings with my displays, or suspending my PC. I am also using KDE/Plasma. Versions of packages are below.

plasma-desktop 5.15.4-1
kernel 5.0.7-arch1-1-ARCH
xf86-video-amdgpu 19.0.1-1

I appreciate the help in advance!

this happens to my rx570 in windows… specially when switching from fullscreen to window mode, lasts like 10 seconds sometimes. its like the old tvs,when out of tune, but green.

Can you make a short video to see how it looks.

Not sure if this is not normal.

I get that on Windows when the “desync” happens, so tabbing out of exclusive fullscreen applications that run in freesync. For ~5 seconds the screen goes black (without loosing signal), then comes back with whatever I tabbed to.

1 Like

Sorry for the partial necro, however I’ve been having the same issue on Arch Linux. It seems to be something to do with the power management of the card on linux, as disabling at boot with amdgpu.dpm=0, or setting the powerstate manually from preformance to high (in that order) seems to perma fix it at least until next reboot.

(you can change the power state by changing the value like so)

[root@ryzen-desktop]# echo performance > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state
[root@ryzen-desktop]# echo high > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level