RX-480 + linux

It worries me that a level1techs moderator has such backwards values and acts so hostile. Not worth my time really.

Care to explain?

2 Likes

Zoltan's too smart for your fascist disinformation!

He's very knowledgeable, if opinionated and bad at readability/conciseness. He helps more than he hurts.

In all seriousness, just play nice or ignore him. This is a great community once you get used to the quirks.

Wasnt sure to keep this thread or make a new one but.

I decided to try overclocking and so far it seems to work. On AMDGPU kernel 4.10. From a Phoronix post.

The overclocking support is a bit rudimentary. As root,

echo 5 > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_sclk_od
echo 5 > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_mclk_od

Will overclock sclk ("core") and mclk ("memory") 5%. I think the allowed values are 0-20.

Viewing current frequencies is just reading from a file too, or use watch to keep monitoring. watch also supports fractions like 0.5
watch --interval=1 cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_dpm_sclk
watch --interval=1 cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_dpm_mclk

sensors from lm_sensors should show the temperature.

2 Likes

Is this for real? I thought GPU's were worthless for mining since the 2xx series. Or is this for coin of the non bit flavor?

They're useless for bitcoin, but there's literally hundreds of cryptocurrencies that don't have ASICs or FPGA miners, meaning GPUs are still the best option.

2 Likes

Ok I may have been overly excited. Ive spent a few hours messing with it and while the console numbers say overclock and games work. It is slower when benchmarked with non zero echo to /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_dpm_sclk and /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_dpm_mclk for me.

So have a go at it if you like but it seem to need more than just the clock changes...maybe power setting need to be adjusted as well. Beyond me for now :frowning:

It seems the pp_dpm_sclk does not reach level 7 when tweaked.

Keep in mind the overclocking ability I think its quite limited atm. I think this will continue to change with new releases, 4.12 hopfully being a big one.

Buildzoid uploaded a video explaing a little bit about the BIOS Versions of the RX5x0 Series and putting them on the RX4x0 Cards. Cool stuff, neat stuff, slick stuff!

Higher PowerLimit, Higher ClockSpeed and such.

I think i maybe gonna try it this weekend.

Has anyone flashed BIOSes on GPUs under Linux? Till now i only saw videos were people would use windows for that kinda stuff.

This will only work on cards with a high ASIC score, so check yours before you get this BIOS.

1 Like