RX 480 Could fry your MOBO?

I have a feeling that this is probably more something to do with it being a reference card with a reference PCB. If this happens with a 150W reference AMD card, I don't see how this didn't happen with the 300W space heater that was the 290X. That thing drank power through a firehose.

That's to say nothing of the old Fermi cards.

1 Like

That one has two 8 pin. It could draw 300W purely out of those.

It isn't. It is a legit concern.

I would have expected the GPU to draw the extra power directly from the power supply, not from the motherboard.

It was actually a 6pin + 8pin.

it wont fry your board. your MB will have fail safes. If it draws more than the MB can handle it will shutdown your computer.

OK. up to 75 from the slot, up to 75 from 6-pin, up to 150 from the 8-pin, max 300 in total.

Yeah, why even have standards if we can just listen to some random dude?

Also it doesn't matter what amount of power could come out of a 6-pin.
PCPerspective did measure directly on the slot.

1 Like

You have benchmarks posted anywhere?

You mean like this?

1 Like

I'll OC this thing on my shitty FM2 mobo with PCIe 2.0 if that will kill any and all concerns for you

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-A78M-E35-Bolton-Micro-Motherboard/dp/B00HGLX8J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467378511&sr=8-1&keywords=fm2-a75ma-e35

2 Likes

It sure wouldn't but I'm not stopping you.

its where my 480 is going anyway

gotta have my 980ti back, way faster

RX 480 isn't to blame, it is simply shoddy motherboards nothing more.

RX 480 is within pci-e specs, and those again are very conservatively rated.

3 Likes

That board has PCIe 3.0 by the way....

Uhm, it doesn't change facts just because you say so. Spec is 75W, RX 480 draws more.
If you have new information I would like to see the source for that.

And "shoddy motherboards" is pretty much where this card is aimed at.

When I get mine I will test it on a old crappy board I have. Its a socket 775 intel dell board. Not sure what pci-express it has available honestly