RX 470 - Lower than expected framerates? [SOLVED]

Hi, recently my framerates dropped in games considerably and I’m trying to narrow down the cause. I first noticed that XCOM2 dropped from 60 FPS to 20 FPS without an apparent reason after I updated W10 and drivers (17.7.2).

I’ve tried:

• reverting to a previous driver version
  • resetting driver profiles to defaults
  • tweaking XCOM2 engine settings

All of those have given me a difference of about 2-3 FPS in total.
Any ideas what should I try next?

I’m running W10 under a stock Fedora 26 with GPU passthrough.

My configuration:

1. 3.4GHz Xeon 1230 v5 on an
  2. Asrock E3V5 WS (C232)
  3. 16 GB of ECC DDR4 2133
  4. Mushkin SSD MKNSSDTR480GB
  5. GeForce 210 for the host
  6. Sapphire RX470 Nitro+ 4GB for the guest

Edit: The performance is back to normal after I removed this line from modprobe.conf:

options kvm_intel nested=0 ept=0

I’ve added this when I tried to use hugepages for the guest’s memory. Since then, I dropped the hugepages but left this and suffered a huge performance drop. The news about the NPT bug on TR made me recheck my configuration. Turns out FCU was not the culprit.

Appears to be a Windows problem, but aside from that I’m not really able to help you. I just wanted to leave a comment, because having a thread without any comments is sort-of frustrating sometimes.

My friend recently updated windows 10 and his install exploded. Gpu drivers blew up, desktop blew up. Everything. He had to reinstall yesterday.

So what is your hardware aside from the 470?

My graphics driver blew up during a recent Windows update as well. Completely removing (using DDU) and reinstalling the driver worked for me.

@Azulath Appreciate it man.
@FaunCB I did see a big update getting installed recently. I’m not sure if it’s the windows update or the game update. The Valley benchmark shows about 70 fps on Ultra in 1080p.

@psycho_666 Forgot to post it

1. 3.4GHz Xeon 1230 v5 on an
  2. Asrock E3V5 WS (C232)
  3. 16 GB of ECC DDR4 2133
  4. Mushkin SSD MKNSSDTR480GB
  5. GeForce 210 for the host
  6. Sapphire RX470 Nitro+ 4GB

Since I started the thread I tried:

• Switching HT on/off
  • Swapped the video card PCIe slots
  • Various guest configuration (CPU pinning, huge tables, removing as much virtual hardware I could get away with)
1 Like

Yeah its windows. My bud tried to play Warhammer 2 and had 2 FPS. After the reinstall he has 160 and he just has a 1060, nothing fancy.

1 Like

@pFtpr Thanks, I had no such luck.
@FaunCB Sounds exactly like what I’m troubleshooting. I’ll try a “factory reset” and, if that doesn’t help, a reinstall.

Hi everyone, thanks for the tips. Looks like the Fall Creator’s update broke the install.

After running a reinstall from recovery settings, performance is back to normal. I gave up on trying to troubleshoot this. The OS install had lasted me a year.