RVZ02 or Fractal node 202 or other

The hardware I have and will have
i7 6700k
Scyth big shuriken REV B low profile CPU cooler (58mm tall)
silverstone 600w sfx psu
32 GB of ram
256 GB nvme
will be getting an RX 480

My needs
I do not need any additional storage. I keep everything bulky like games on my unRAID NAS in my closet. So I don't care about drive bays.

With small form factor cases it's tough to get a feel for the cases watching youtube videos. fractal seems pretty good and supports my hardware, and the silverstone has the chamber separation and looks like it breaths better. Or is there a better option out there that i don't have to wait 4 months to get

Can you give more details on running your games from that unRAID storage?

My network is Gigabit ethernet and I can saturate it at about 100 to 120mBps
I have steam set up to save all games to my network drive

I am assuming samba share and how is performance during gaming and such?

I don't have any experience with either of those cases, but I have used several compact silverstone cases and the design has always impressed me. Well except for the DS380 which needs to be modified to fit a half height PCI card when there's no reason that it couldn't have been designed to work. Anyway, both of them I'm sure are good so I'd just go with whichever you like the look of better.

@sanfordvdev you might find this interesting: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/run-your-steam-library-from-a-nas-break-a-leg-challenge-update/107912?u=dexter_kane

If you like the RVZ02 chassis but don't like the look, Silverstone make the ML08 from the same chassis. There's also the ML08-H, which has a handle.

@sanfordvdev here is the performance during loading a game. Keep in mind I'm still on intel gfx so the resolution is lower. The lower textures probably speed it up but this gives a ballpark feel of gaming over the network

@Zavar That case looks really nice. I'll look into it! So much nicer than the RVZ01 and 02

@Dexter_Kane Fun read :D unraid isnt really raid. It's more like JBOD with a parity disk. I went with that because over a gigabit network striping data would not speed anything up. Gigabit cant even max out a single drive.

1 Like

I think I'm switching gears to the SG13
I'll swap the sfx PSU with my NAS full ATX PSU
The SG13 is dirt cheap and pretty efficient with space. Also much much better airflow MUCH

SG13 is pretty compact and not to annoying to work in as long as you dont use an ATX PSU even though it says it fits one.

Only some games work over the network some crash on launch. I'd say 35% play over the network, the rest I have to copy over to a local drive before launching

The ONLY reason I suggest the RVZ02 over the Node 202 is due to the following facts:

• Cable management is slightly easier.
  • It has an optical drive slot. (If wanted)
  • It doesn't have the logo printed on so that it suits the horizontal position more. (I hate that about the Node 202)

I've been considering the exact same cases for my next build, and I'll also be using NAS. I appreciate just how hard this decision is, only reason I'm really going for the RVZ02 is due to the optical drive option, I watch DVD's still.

1 Like