Running two AIO Liquid coolers in Corsair 240 Air?

Continuing the discussion from Need advice on airflow; I have a hotspot - Corsair Carbide Air 240:

Originally, I had discovered a hotspot, and I don't really have any good ideas on how to fix it. I recently purchased a 21:9 Freesync monitor, and will be upgrading to an AMD card because the 2GB vRAM on my 760 isn't cutting it anymore 1080p, and I need variable refresh rate. G-Sync Monitors are gimped (proprietary module has only DisplayPort; need multiple inputs), expensive, and I'm just fed up with Nvidia. Because of this hotspot, I would be restricted to blower-style coolers, but if memory serves, the R9 290 reference cooler was extremely loud and inadequate cooler to cool the Hawaii core. I was hoping HIS would slap their Black Hole Impeller cooler on a 290, but no such luck.

So, I was thinking, instead of running a single CM Seidon 240, why don't I run two smaller AIO Liquid Coolers? I was thinking of running two Corsair H55 Quiet Editions mounting them both to the front, in pull, as exhaust. One for the GPU, the other for my CPU.

I guess my only real concern is would I an H55 be adequate to cool an OC'd R9 290 and an OC'd 2500k, potentially to 4.6GHz at 1.375V? Realistically I plan to run 4GHz at 1.275v, but probably up the clock speed as much as I can at that voltage. I was running 4GHz at 1.2V, but because I swapped mobo's, my CPU was unstable at idle.

Why do you guys think? Good idea? Would it actually work? Advice? Tips?
@Jason_Thongphetmanic - wondering if you specifically had any insights on using two 120mm coolers and the H55s.

Yeah. That would definitely work. I actually was planning on selling off my H100i in order to run two 120mm AIOs in my set up at first.

GPUs don't need robust cooling solutions like CPUs, so a 120mm radiator actually keeps them very cool. Your GPU will be 20~30c cooler in any situation you throw at it.

The CPU should be fine if you're not going to overclock it like crazy. My old 2500k did overclock to 4.6ghz @ 1.376v with an old 120mm AiO.

I would suggest that you have both Rads exhaust that hot air. You will find that the GPU's rad kicks off butt loads of heat.

And are you planning on getting a NZXT Kraken G10 or Corsair HG10?

One of the reasons I was planning on the Corsair H55 was because it appeared to have an asetek pump, thus compatible with the G10. The other reason was because it was cheap :P I was unaware Corsair had a mounting solution for GPUs. I'll look into Corsair's solution and see if it's any cheaper, or better aesthetics.

Side note - If I manage to sell my Seidon 240m for anything near what I paid for it (still have original packaging), This whole transition will cost me about $50, which isn't bad. I just need to save up a bit for a new GPU.

for an R9 290, i'd go with the Corsair HG10, because it has a full card cooling design. The kraken G10 lacks cooling for some of them memory chips and/or VRM.

Just make sure you buy a reference R9 290 to go with the Corsair HG10.

I think such a bracket with the Hawaii GPU core specifically in mind is well worth a $6 premium over the NZXT Kraken G10 (Found the Corsair one for $36 on the Egg.)

Thanks for the help. I'm just hoping I don't run into clearance issues with the tubes with two 120mm rads up front.

1 Like

When getting a reference card, would manufacturer matter? I've been eye-balling a Sapphire reference card here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202043

But, Amazon is my preferred retailer (Prime Member = 2 day free shipping), and found from Diamond, but historically based on customer reviews, their products have been shoddy. I'm just wondering if that would matter when purchasing a reference design. $20 is $20, y'know?

1 Like

As far as i know, it should not matter which brand when it comes to reference cards. They will all be the same. But of course warranty should be considered.

Hopefully someone more with more knowledge could chime in on the subject.

I don't mean to Necro my own thread, but given it's the same topic, I figured it might be ok. Anywho:

I finally took some measurements and ultimately I don't have clearance to mount 2x 120mm AIO coolers upfront. However, I just came up with a ridiculous idea:
Switch my CPU to aircooling (looking at a Zalman CNPS8500AT, or Noctua NH-D9L) and hope my Seidon 240 cooler fits the Corsair G10 A1 adapter and have a R9 290/290X/390/390X cooled by a 240mm AIO!

Thoughts? Think my Seidon 240M will fit the adapter? And given that the CNPS 9500 stands at exactly 120mm, which is the maximum supported CPU cooler height, should I be worried? Just kinda spitballing here...

I'm not sure what kind of cooler the Corsair adapter takes. Though. I'm sure you can ghetto rig it to fit. And if you're handy, it wont even look ghetto. lol.

I'd be more worried about the clearance of the graphics card, with the radiator being in the front. My GPU is 11.5 inches and it is very snug. Just don't get anything longer than 12 inches. *But then that is also because i am in push/pull on my 240mm rad.