Running Linux on Touchbar MacBook Pro?

Has anybody personally tried this? I really want to buy one of these MacBooks. Probably a 13" with the Touchbar. I've never purchased a Mac before. I have 3 laptops (2 Linux, 1 windows), and a Windows desktop. I think this particular Mac would be a stellar daily driver though. It just needs Linux!

There's a GitHub documenting this process. (link: https://gist.github.com/roadrunner2/1289542a748d9a104e7baec6a92f9cd7) A couple things don't work (sound being one), but work is being done.

Just wondering about the experience of others who have done this or similar. Did it work? Was it fun?

1 Like

I own a 15’ touch bar and I installed Kali linux. There have been a lot of driver issues for my Mac. I managed to get touch bar to work, the controls on touch bar are screen brightness, keyboard backlit, volume and music control. However, NONE of those work because of driver issue ( no sound card driver so music and volume don’t work, no keyboard driver so backlit doesn’t work, etc.)

Best chance you have is a rolling release with the latest kernel. I am using Manjaro mostly (not on my macs though) and it does a nice job dealing with newer hardware. Any Arch should do.

2 Likes

for a second I thought the OP was running Linux on the physical touch bar.

3 Likes

I tried this myself a while back, without success:

I challenge you to run a vm only on the touchbarp

1 Like