Running linux from USB SSD

Hello everyone.
So I am looking at building a sort of linux based repair system that I would like to be persistant.
As I understand it Linux should be able to scale to different hardware even if its persistant as a hardware check should be done on boot, but how well does this work? of course the drive will be used between different systems/chipsets/CPUs etc, I plan to use it as a showcase system also.
Now I am looking at a SSD around £120 but I am unsure if there are any benefits over something like a T3/T5 or build one, I am looking at a cheap SK Hynix and a USB hub.

Any suggestions towards this? I am thinking of using Ubuntu just for simplicity, but it will be rebuilt to Ubuntu 18.04 minimal when its avaliable.

Many Thanks

I have a similar configuration to this with a 120GB 850 EVO and a cheap usb-to-sata adapter running Solus and it works well switching from different systems even between Nvidia and AMD GPUs without any issues at all. With this I don’t notice any performance difference between running the drive natively on sata over usb and use this as the main drive for one of my systems. personally I’d say your better off building one yourself as it has flexibility and the option to swap out of the drive for another one if you ever wanted or needed to.

I’m doing this with a 128GB M.2 drive. It works alright, but USB provides serious limitations unless you go 3.1

It’s definitely faster than a flash drive and makes for a nice roaming kali installation.

2 Likes

Do you need to do this?

Id recommend sysrescuecd, or something similar, its build for use for recovery etc.

don’t you get miffed at having to enter root/sudo password just to mount partitions in Solus?
Especially on a mobile USB setup that you can take places and change sustems?

I really liked souls, but guess I tinker too much for it’s easy-to-use, hard-to-break ethos

Why do you need so much space for a repair disk? I use a 32gb usb drive containing an Lubuntu iso with persistence as well as Windows xp, vista, 7 and 10 iso’s. Actually this thread reminds me I was gonna add AiO SRT to it, this --> https://paul.is-a-geek.org/aio-srt/

I have recovery CDs like trinity rescue but this I want for some other things as well as recovery, again a showcase system and the ability to test software without affecting someones PC who I may change to Linux, the ability to store files on it with encryption.
And finally just to use when I don’t have my own laptop with me e.g staying in hotels.

I tried installing Ubuntu from an install ISO burned to a flash drive onto another flash drive, in an attempt to get a full, if dog-slow (it was a 2.0 drive) portable Linux install. I almost got it, too, but the installer dropped its bootloader onto my internal boot drive, leaving the usb non-bootable. It took a few days to get my laptop back to normal after that…Should have used advanced install I guess.

I tried something like this with puppy linux a few years ago, but I wasn’t impressed with it. The persistent filesystem on fatdog only works up to 8 gb iirc, it’ll let you try to make it bigger but it just craps out. And the other versions are 32-bit so most stuff doesn’t work on it.

Doing this right now with a T3. Only really use it on my desktop, but don’t see why switching between systems would be much of an issue as long as you don’t install proprietary drivers.

1 Like

Have you tried using MX17 or AntiX ?

They have great tools for creating and customising persistent USB ISOs
also includes options to run from RAM and frugal installs

Can install from it either as a full backup copy and keep user account data, or as standard ISO install for new user account