Running FX 8350 as "true" quad core?

wow thats awful then, amd needs to get it together.

Well, here are my results, take them for what they are.  I wasn't expecting some life altering evidence to come out of this.

My component list is in the doc since I realized I didn't share that in the beginning.

Remember I was doing this as a "What IF" scenario.  Thanks for bearing with me and being patient :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MKHNXsQrbLOZ7MCFEs7uVadP0gLBJSGS61p-u3PsaqI/pubhtml

All things considered; this makes for a very interesting topic. The 4 cores did extremely well in most cases even beating the 8 in a small handful of applications. This does help to explain why Intel cores perform better in games. Who would have thought that the the shared memory pools hold back the FX series in single core performance like that.

This is extremely cool I salute you sir!

Thanks for sharing that google docs. Just ignore MisteryAngel, talk her opinions with a grain of salt. Alot of these young moderators probably just haven't gotten out of their  "youthful invincibility phase" yet. A lot of them running around in CoD, LoL or Starcraft 2 like the baddest mofos in the planet. Keep in mind they think they are moderating 13 year olds or something. Just don't tell them your age. Cinebench been caught cheating for Intel before and AMD didn't bother to give them an AMD compiler either. Then again most games are still coded in VBA or C++, so yea. Don't bother reading some people's comment they might give you like dyslexia or something.

Just ignore MisteryAngel, talk her opinions with a grain of salt. Alot of these young moderators probably just haven't gotten out of their  "youthful invincibility phase" yet. A lot of them running around in CoD, LoL or Starcraft 2 like the baddest mofos in the planet. Keep in mind they think they are moderating 13 year olds or something. Just don't tell them your age.

Well, you're sure doing a great job trying to look like a 13 year old... come one, dude, show some style...

OP delivered, interesting results.

Well if you didn't act like 13 year-olds, it wouldn't be assumed.

@LordXenu

If you have any single clue about how both intel and amd architectures exaly work, then you also know which is better for what okay. It seems to me that you dont have that knowledge yet. Otherwise you would not make such statements.

do some decent researches your self, before you start yelling and screaming. And if you wanne correct somebody, then be polite, and dont act like a "13 year old" (to stay in your terms of speak). Because i personaly dont see what should be wrong with a 13 year old.

Its totaly fine to have your own opinnion about things, and you dont have to agree with anybody. But stay mature and be polite. Because the way you are responding uphere is very immature and not nessesary if you ask me.

from looking at that googledocs document it just doesnt seem worth it to me.

very marginal gain.

agree, its exaclty what i was expecting.

This offcourse also points out, that games not realy gonne benefit from more then 4 core´s. At this moment. i only have seen a few games, that had a slight benefit from an 8 threaded cpu, but nothing significant.

As soon as devs make the break from last gen consoles to current gen then those 8 threads are going to become standard on 'recommended' settings.

That would be nice yes. But yeah game devs are lazy.

I cannot look in the future. But i personaly think that futured games will become more GPU demending then cpu demending with DX12 arround the corner.

But yeah i cannot look in the future offcourse.

interesting that you mention dx12

given that microsoft are building dx12 largely around the xbones hardware dont you think that no matter who wins (mantle / dx12) that amd still win? :D

those are the battles i like

If I'm reading it right, for gaming you could go down to 4M/4C and take a negligible performance hit compared to 4M/8C?

I wonder if that would change heat output at all. I figure it shouldn't since the CPU would still be doing the same amount of data crunching, but I'm not a computer engineer so I could be wrong.

well i cannot look into the future, so idk what amd´s new zen architecture will bring to the table.

But in terms of the FX cpu´s vs current haswell / broadwell... i dont think so.

Haswell cpu´s have simply faster cores then current FX cpu´s. mantle will take some of the overhead away from the cpu, But this offcourse bennefits both intel and amd cpu´s for that matter. So i expect to intel still win this battle.

After running the tests that's the one thing that I wished I had documented, because the temps were considerably lower when run as 4m/4c.  Several degrees C lower in fact.  The biggest change in heat was on the VRM's, they were even cool to the touch, and allowed me to push the clock to 5ghz with no problem with temps.

Thats interessting indeed, especialy on the VRM part.

perhaps I'll rerun some of the tests this week, I'm working on a video for it so that'll be a nice to have.

And it wouldn't take me too long to get the results since I'll probably just take them from running a few rounds of Realbench to get them nice and warm :)

I did tests like this with my Gigabyte motherboard and I lost performance overall. No game I tried ran any better (error margin bigger than the difference). You result looks very much like my results. I think the scheduler in Win8.1 don't know what to do when you turn off every other core per module, it's not like it is a supported feature really. Setting CPU core affinity manually gave me better results in the end.

Good modern games run very well on many cores, Cryengine, Frostbite engine etc will gain significant performance from more cores. Granted, the biggest step is form two to four, gains will be had going to six and eight. Especially with APIs like Mantle (DX12).

And yes, Haswell cores are stupid powerful cores. A modern OS that can task-switch properly can have very nice performance on only two highly clocked Haswell cores, even if the cache is small etc.

*UPDATE*

I've updated the link in a previous post to include Core Temps and VRM temps.  This is something a bit different to look at, especially with how close the 4m/4c performed in games to the 4m/8c, perhaps allowing for more overclocking headroom and maybe giving you better performance,  IF gaming is what you're most concerned with on your FX 8350.