RTX 3090 can't handle tripple-monitors - 1440+1080+1080?

My Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity doesn’t handle my tripple-monitor setup as i’d expect.

I’ve got my main/primary monitor, a fancy Asus 1440p144, and two secondary/tertiary Acers at 1080p60. All connected via fancy/expensive DisplayPort cables, less than 5m.

Neither Windows (10 pro, game ready), nor Linux (Ubuntu 21.04) seems be able to drive all panels at native res+Hz.

WHY?

The primary 1440p144 is centre stage, landscape. One of the Acer 1080p60s is rotated/portrait on the right side, the other in landscape above.

I always fail to drive one of the Acers above 900p. Currently i’m only running a dual-monitor setup, at native res+Hz.

Y DIS NO WÖRK?

Any ideas?
Shouldn’t a 3090 be plenty for a tripple-setup?
Did i miss a memo? (Which one?)

The 3090 itself should handle it just fine, what may happen is that maybe your DP cables are too long for your environment. I would suggest trying with DP cables that are shorter (less than 3m), just to test if that solves it.

Many DP cables are kinda shit even if they are expensive, that cost in itself doesn’t say anything in todays world.

2 Likes

although i’ve not been sufficiently scientific about it, i did swap the DP cables of the 2nd/3rd Acer monitors (i didn’t shut down, swap, then reboot - i just swapped) - strangely enough, the same physical device “refused” to be set above 900p.

Currently, i’m actually not sure what length of DP cables i’m using - certainly <=5m. (technically, 3m should suffice, but i’d have to run 'em directly, without neatly snaking 'em through the fancy Ergotron VESA tree) I’ll double-check tomorrow.

THAT might be another constraint!

I DO run those DP cables alongside (Euro-240VAC) power lines. Because, that’s how the Ergotron manual tells me to do.

For fox sake, could this be…?

Sources, anyone? (I’d appreciate a little more than hear-say.)
(edit: extended quote)

It’s the cables and cables too near power

Ask .someone who as seen thousands of dp cables at this point

Ralph chuckles haha I’m in danger

3 Likes

a’ight, @wendell, i trust you enough to trust this piece of “anecdotal evidence”. Thanks, Wendell!

I’ll reroute, and enrich this thread.
(edit: i’ll change the title, when it turns out to be a power line interference issue - gotta make the click path unambiguous)

Should be able to. MY 6900xt does 2 x 4k @ 60hz and a a 4k tv @ 120hz just fine.

1 Like

Would that be true about HDMI cables as well? I got one monitor that flickers occasionally on the other end of a long HDMI cable going through a pipe full of them.

Yes it can be true for pretty much any cable, except fiber due to how fiber works.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.