RTX 3080 Max-Q passthrough?

Hi there,

I have been working on a Lenovo Legion 7 AMD with an RTX 3080 Max-Q GPU for the past months. My main operating system at the moment is Windows 11, mainly because there are a couple of things that simply did not work for a long time on Linux (speakers mainly). As time progresses, people have been developing the drivers this computer needs to properly run on Linux, and I am ready to do the move. I have tested Ubuntu 20.04 with the latest available kernel and everything works as expected, but there are a couple of apps that I really need that are only available on Windows, for example Photoshop, MS Office, OneDrive, etc. I use these tools for work and I can’t really replace them with anything else for the moment. So, my plan is to install Ubuntu as my host OS and have a virtual machine for all my Windows’ needs. I have tested Looking Glass in the past and it is a really nice solution, it will suite my needs, but I’m not 100% sure if it’s possible to have this GPU passedthough.

Does anyone know if that is even possible?

I’m also considering Gentoo or Arch, for the sake of customization.

If you pass the GPU to the VM, the host is headless, with no GPU/screen. Not very useful.

None of the uses you describe have any use for a GPU. Most desktop virtualization will present an accelerated or semi-accelerated virtual GPU to the guest, so for basic 2D/video purposes, it’s good to go. For light/occasional 3D acceleration it’s also pretty good.