Router help (QoS)

Good morning to everyone,

So I am not familiar with QoS I simply enabled it because i was experiencing hitching when I would game online. Once i enabled the QoS prioritized my system, etc. it fixed the issue.

However, an other issue arose: my download speed went from 100+ to 4.5mbs.

So while my gaming issue went away my download speeds are terrible.

I am going to do some testing of mine own and mess with “Uplink bandwidth: Maximum” to see if lowering the number will somehow fix the issue.

Same problem :confused:

Did you prio your entire system or just certain ports or applications?

So my laymans understanding is that QoS will make sure your media content is treated with more priority than your downloads, that is what it is. The reason this can be necessary is that for instance torrenting can have hundreds of requests to your router, while your sole netflix stream will drown immediately, so to combat this, you prioritize netflix, youtube, or anything where you need the bandwidth immediately. This can have the unfortunate effect of your downloads never really getting through, because some request lingers from your device to the router, so the router will always think it needs to reserve bandwidth.

I don’t quite understand your question. May you please repeat it again.

My router has three forms of prioritizing the bandwidth (1) by site/ application, (2) by mac address, and (3) by lan port.

I chose the mac address which is my computer.

The thing is that even when my computer is off the download speeds are still slow ,i.e., from 100+ to 5 mbs

To give a better understanding of my set up it like this.
Modem (Internet) -> Router 1
Router 1 -> QoS (highest prioritize) Router 2
Router 2 -> QoS (highest prioritize) Gaming computer.

When connecting directly to router 1 the download speeds are still at 5mbs.
When QoS is removed, speeds are back up to 100 mbs in ALL ways.

I make sure to do testing when there is only one device connected i.e. gaming computer

Where from and how are you downloading? Is it speedtest or download from a website or torrenting or something else? Also, it is bad form to have two routers, unless you have a good reason to do so, you should disable DHCP in nr2 (and not use the wan port, use a lan port as input from router 1). Although I recognise this is probably not where the problem has its culprit.

both speedtest and downloading video games from steam, origin, etc.

I have not gotten around to disabling DHCP on router 2 which is why i got the feed from router 1 and connected it to my computer directly to make sure it was not due to the fact that i have two routers.

That did not fix the issue.

Some routers QoS require you to manually type in your bandwidth. Have you done that/checked if it is there? Also, if it is, make sure you have the right unit, bit, byte, Kbit (Kb), kbyte (KB), Mbit (Mb), mbyte (MB), etc.

Yeah it does have that option but i am not sure what that means?
Is it going to allocate that much bandwidth to said object?

No, I think this should be your real-world speeds, (not the advertised speeds from your ISP), and you should type in only 80-95% of the actual speeds. So if you do a speed test and it says 100mbit/40mbit for example, and your router require you to type it in as kbit, multiply by 1000, and to get 80% of that you multiply by 0.8, so it becomes 80.000kbit/32.000kbit.

ok i will definitely test that out.

Thank you so much, just one more thing my last question:

Is it going to allocate that much bandwidth to said object?
Thus suppose i have 100mbs and i allocate 80 mbs, does that free up 20 mbs and that will bring up download speed performance?

I’m not sure I understand this bit.

I think it needs the numbers to know how much elbow room it has to allocate if necessary, it will not reserve 80mbit for all eternity to the device, only if the device needs it. At least I’m pretty sure that is how it should work. If you find out it does indeed reserve it no-matter if it is in use, try a lower number that will be a reasonable compromise or use another rule, like ports or applications which will be able to serve your needs.

Thank you.

I will definitely start playing around with QoS bandwidth settings

1 Like

QoS will not manage your download speeds. Its meant to manage upload only really. It can help download speeds when your downlink is saturated by throttling everyone elses requests for more information but wont do anything to stop information from coming in. Your ISP will send whatever to you at whatever speeds you can get it.

When I messed with the QoS settings only then did i see my download speeds drop from 100mbs to 5mbs, when disabled they go back up to 100mbs.

Do you know why that may be happening. I understand your point about upload but why then would my download speeds change?

Ok so its really pretty simple once you understand whats happening on the networking level.

Without QoS

1. You send a request for data to the router
  2. Router says ok ISP I want this data
  3. ???
  4. 100Mbit profit from your ISP
  5. Rinse & repeat 1-4 until you get the full file you wanted

With QoS

1. You send a request for data to the router
  2. Router says hey wait your turn and slows down how fast your request is sent
  3. ???
  4. 100Mbit profit from your ISP
  5. Rinse & repeat 1-4 until you get the full file you wanted

The difference is now the router decides when you send requests for what you want.

Now as to why you only got 5Mbit? I dont know exactly what settings you’re using but set your upload in QoS to its maximum as well as your download and see if its still that way. Also check prioritization of http traffic.

2 Likes

three options as far as i can see.

1: you have QoS applied in the wrong way. For instance, your 1’st router doesn’t see the MAC of your gaming computer when this device is behind a firewall (the 2’nd router), of course this doesn’t explain why it is still so when you connect directly to the 1’st router. Could also be a typo or something, you need to double check these things.

2: download speeds are dependent on upload speeds, if you can’t send requests, you are not going to receive anything. If something is set up the wrong way, e.g the speeds we talked about, this could be it.

3: firmware bug, wouldn’t be the first time. What model is your router? and what firmware version?

2 Likes

4th option, his router lacks the processing power to inspect the packets at a decent speed.

3 Likes