Root Login and Matlab Installation

Lol... that's alright!

Yeah, installing was easy once I read up on it a bit! And I too have to launch it using a terminal. But that's fine. It's good to get used to the terminal... too much reliance on the GUI is why kids these days use computers like they were interactive televisions :-P !

1 Like

True, I am guilty of being lazy... I grew up in dos yet now it is hard as fuck for me to install a game on Linux lol Just got to get used to not having everything so dumbed down and remembering how computers really work haha

1 Like

Okay so, after logging into my OpenSuse system I can see I made a mistake. I don't have a desktop ( folder ) shortcut but a start menu ( application menu ) shortcut. However just tested it out and it works for desktop shortcuts too.
I will now make a short tutorial how to set it up.
While in any folder

right click > create new > Link to Application > New window appears > on tab "General" you can type the name etc > On "Permissions" you can set permissions > on "Application" is where we set everything > on Name - Matlab > on Command - click browse and find your matlab script in /home/.../Matlab/Bin > open Advanced Options > run in terminal > save and you are ready to go

Here are some pictures ( coming soon ... don't know why but can not upload to the site )

That was odd. I just went through this process, and I spent like 20 minutes trying to figure it out. The issue was I was doing sudo ./install instead of just ./install. Ugh. Worked fine once I tried without root. Can anybody explain why this may be? The terminal output was identical for both, but the GUI stuff didn't appear until I tried without root.

Edit: Shit. Now the installer is having issues.

Edit2: I figured it out again. Linux is weird.

Edit3: NVM. This is silly. How can I give the MATLAB installer root privilege so it can install to the /usr folder? I'm in the same boat with needing the GUI for my student license, but it won't run anything if I use the sudo /.install command. I'm on Fedora 25. Is this just something I need to get used to with Linux? Can I not directly install to these root folders in a GUI environment?

Edit4: I figured it out again. Is it poor form to change folder permissions?

Nah! There's just gaps in our understanding of it. It's far smoother than windows, and the inscrutable error messages Micro$oft comes up with! _Something went wrong with your PC!_ Yeah... that's very informative and helpful, Micro$oft! Thanks!

IFF you don't do this, that is don't give the installer root/superuser privilege, THEN you won't be able to create symbolic links.

Did you follow my steps properly?

Take a look at Mathworks installation instructions. You need to give the installer root access if you want the symbolic links. This is because without the root privilege, you likely won't be able to write to/usr/local/bin , and for symbolic links to works you need a folder common to all your user's paths.

Also, run whoami and enter the output as the login name for Matlab when you activate. Otherwise there will be licensing issues. I had to write to mathworks to figure this out!

Oh don't get me wrong! I'm quite enjoying it. There is more complexity, but that's just because I now have access to what's actually going on. With transparency comes a higher need for understanding.

The issue I'm having is that if I either run the ./install as root or I sudo ./install, then nothing happens. The terminal script just says "Installing... Finished!" without any GUI popping up. If I simply run ./install, then the GUI pops up, but there are these permission issues, as it has none.

So I'm contemplating installing MATLAB somewhere public and then trying to creaty the system links by hand, or temporarily changing folder permissions so that MATLAB can have full reign until the install is complete.

Did you do the first three steps, including the cd / bit? If so, and you are still having problems, I would recommend just contacting Mathworks first. It's notoriously difficult to remove matlab dependencies, and you don't want half-done stuff cluttering up your system.

I did follow all steps. I'll get in touch with Mathworks and see what they say.

1 Like