Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Discussion [Spoilers]

yeah this stood out to me as well. I was actually intimidated and at the edge of my seat every-time the stormtropers came up in the film. They weren't just disposable plot devices this time.

1 Like

I liked it a lot. I would rate it second in the trilogy, just after empire strikes back. The force awakens was enjoyable, but disappointing in the end because it was literally the exact same plot done for the third time. Here they explored another untold story. Also, as I said I enjoyed how the stormtroopers were actually intimidating. The new characters were great too, both the main and side ones. And I enjoyed the middle part of the movie, which a lot people thought was boring. Maybe it's because I enjoy the world building in star wars though.

BTW, to all the people complaining about "another death star", this isn't "another death star". This was the first death star as this movie is a prequel to a new hope.

1 Like

That scene was so good though.

I didn't know that i needed a more Badass Vader in my life.

The thing is, what do we see Vader doing in the Episode films?

Episode 4: he fights an old dude, chokes some red shirts, and flies a fighter.
Episode 5: he stops blasters with his hands and kicks a farm boy's ass one on one.
Episode 6: he does a half hearted play fight with Luke, and it takes all Luke is capable of just to kind of keep up.

We only knew Vader to be a bad ass because of what the other characters believe him to be. This, like the Vader Down comic series, shows what Vader is. It's the truth behind the legend. We see the red shirts shitting themselves at the beginning of IV because of this very scene. They've seen the monster that is chasing them.

That's what I love about this scene.

2 Likes

Yep. As I said, in my opinion this movie actually emphasized how ruthless the Galactic Empire really is.

1 Like

There needs to be a distinction between movies and films. (You can have great movies that are terrible films. They're fun, but they're not really that same high standard of art.) Everyone is judging this movie as if it's supposed to be some form of high art, but it's not. It's a movie. It's fun, it adds a bit to the canon, and it's well produced. This isn't trying to compete with The Godfather for the Best-Of-All-Time title. None of the Star Wars movies are.

The Star Wars movies are all great ways to spend some time enjoying an interesting story, but judging them as if they're deeply complicated films is just silly. The original trilogy certainly doesn't pass that litmus test either. What are people expceting?

1 Like

The man literally has no limbs. How scary could he be? Hit the gym, Vader.

2 Likes

I would say the empire strikes back can be considered a great film. Other than that I agree.

Alright I finally watched the movie, so now I can give my two cents on it:
First, I'm going to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. It had good CGI, a nice amount of humor, while still staying kind of dark, and it gave a good representation of how the empire works.
However there are a few things that bug. The first one is not that big but still there's no way that the rebel ship in the space battle (they used a Nebulon B frigate, if I remember correctly) could take on two star destroyers. The scene looked amazing nonetheless. Another problem with the movie was that the audience didnt give two shits about the characters, which is why no one cared that they died. Thirdly, the CGI is also a weak point of the movie, simply because CGI-Tarkin and CGI-Leia were quite destracting. Also the darth vader costume looked weird. And lastly there were a few plotholes. One of them is the weird connection of Rogue One's end to A new Hope's beginning. Why the fuck would they send the daughter of an important senator on what's pretty much a goddamn suicide mission? I know they had to get Leia in there somehow, but thats fucking ridiculous! But other than that I enjoyed the movie

I mean....

The Darth Vader costume was made to look like the original early Trilogy (i.e. like in A New Hope). Even had red lenses for Vader's mask.

I have seen better action and science fiction movies.

I have also seen better Stars Wars movies.

The whole thing was forgettable due to weak characters.

Wish Hollywood would stop beating ideas to death.

Yeah, Tarkin and Leah definately had that real uncanny valley thing going on.

Leah was "done" alot better, however That was probably due to being nothing more than a brief cameo.

K-2, Chirrut and Baze were pretty good characters, I thought. Jyn and Cassian...not so much.

And this bears repeating.