Rocket League Dropping Mac and Linux support - Thank Epic

I am not saying you are wrong about the player base, I am saying they chose to support Mac and Linux, and were doing a very good job, with no signs of any major problems.

You do have to admit that it is very big coincidence that it is happening now and not… 4 years ago?

1 Like

May I join as well?

5 Likes

I’m not up to date on the timeline. When did they get involved with epic?

Also, did this change coincide with a major update?

Its very possible someone at epic said “hey, this is costing us a lot of money for no real gain… lets cut it”. Thats just normal business. If a car doesnt sell in a market do you expect the auto manufacturer to keep selling cars there?

2 Likes

They have been with Epic for a year now and they have released large updates during this time on all platforms. As far as I know this is not a general game changing update, just made to drop support for Mac and Linux.

They have been going out of their way to step on all the communities since they went to Epic. A big one was the Blueprint system to make cosmetic parts. Before they traded between players for around $1.50 (to the other person not to Psyonix directly) and after the system to help the people get what they want more easily it was frequently $20-25 for the same item paid directly to Psyonix.

Amen.

2 Likes

That’s not it, Tim Sweeney is just a cunt

Installing Linux is sort of the equivalent of moving to Canada when one doesn’t like US political trends.

Nope, we’ve got to fight for the freedoms we have today, where we have them today.

3 Likes

Rocket League used to be my main game, and although it is really annoying that they’re cutting support I also can’t really blame them. Emphasis on used to be. Rocket League has pretty much always had network issues. I was actually somewhat optimistic when EPIC bought them because I thought they’d finally make it better, but nope. Doesn’t matter where I was playing (my house, parents, friends, etc.), whether I was on WiFi or wired, PC or Xbox, I’ve ALWAYS had network issues with Rocket League. And it’s not me specifically every match, but there’s almost always at least one person who if you watch the scoreboard they’ll have the little packet loss icon, high latency, latency variation, etc. and it didn’t improve any after EPIC bought them out. So I’ve basically stopped playing. I literally haven’t even thought of it in like a couple weeks, which is kinda sad because I have hundreds of hours dumped into it and I was teetering between diamond and champ in 3’s at one point.

It would be nice of them to provide some sort of compensation to the people that spent hundreds or thousands of dollars in micro-transactions. I also don’t really care if they don’t. People have been bitching about how shitty micro-transactions are (especially random loot boxes) for several years now. People should know better by now, so fuck it.

It’s disappointing, but there’s still Proton, or consoles.

2 Likes

I’m not convinced he’s a cunt, just a troll.

That’s a Lunduke tier hot take.

Remember, I can catch anyone saying anything on Twitter.

2 Likes

[just a joke]

New upcomming version of Windows10 ships with Rocket League,
instead of Candy Crush… :laughing:

But yeah kinda dissapointing i guess.

2 Likes

Sold!

Not the first. Won’t be the last. The key is not to criticize reasonable business or technology decisions of any company (buyout of company or not) in regards to existing products, but rather to push foward to entice their next decisions to root their best technology choices to be more inclusive of Linux.

Use Proton/Lutris/SteamPlay/WineX now on Rocket League to contribute technologically to it’s direct stability and the engine(s) games run on increasing stability and userbase of them. Valves goal was not onlyto make existing games run well, but create a development environment condusive to Windows-only scenario’s like these to run on Linux with less effort. If they know Windows well, it’s easier for them to tweak for Proton than port/develop on Linux.

We got this far running a marathon, not sprinting. Patience.

I was Linux gaming in the early 2000’s. I remember a Heroes of Might and Magic game, but my favorite to this day was Terminus. I recall playing it (Terminus Point?) on the community servers after it went down, too.

I keep a Windows gaming VM for this scenario. To maintain seamless integration rather than seperate monitor connection, I use Looking Glass to make the Win10 window an entire fullscreen workspace in my i3 WM. I keep multiple meta-keys mapped on my keyboard so that I can avoid confusing my Linux-centric meta keys seperate from the one for windows to avoid overlap issues. I then keep the NTFS drive of the windows game as a completely separate NVME passedtrhough partition that Linux can see and run the WIndows-only games on in SteamPlay/Proton without duplication.

I don’t always run the Win10 VM, but when I do I barely notice it from a UX perspective (I also run full spice/QXL drivers with the QEMU command line args to expand the video buffer to UHD/4k/Whatever levels for when I don’t boot the VM off the vid card for other uses) and I can experiement at will with Steamplay/Proton over time… any problems at all and boot the Win10 VM.

Not as hard as it sounds and is actually preferable in this new age. Our options are growing geometrically these days compared to 20 years ago. I remember ‘sc’ as a spreadsheet app at the console in the 90’s and no GUI. Could be worse. :wink:

1 Like

This has been the main reason for me to not give Epic any money since UT2004. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: Valve actually supports Linux. So they get my money.

#FuckEpicGames!

3 Likes

If there was a reason to delete this game from my library, this is the perfect reason.

I made a negative Steam review for the memes, didn’t figure that this would actually turn out to be the case.

Screenshot_20200123_220456

I requested a refund, and if I don’t get one, I’m plain deleting it from my library.

Screenshot_20200123_221608

1 Like

Like some others have stated I also see this as business decision from Psyonix, no reason to keep spending money to support platform that doesn’t generate enough profit to justify it. Not saying I’m happy about this, but can see the reasoning behind it.

2 Likes

Yeah i agree.

Most of gamers play on Windows10.
The market for Linux and Mac gamers is still pretty small.
And there for supporting it won’t generate enough profit to justify it.
So yeah i could totally see why they would stop supporting it.

1 Like

THE BASTARDS…

Screenshot_20200124_005742

Time to make some noise.

This is exactly what Epic wants from this. Make gamers angry and direct them to steam when it should be to them. Getting a refund from steam only hurts steam and not Psyonix or Epic.

It is just underhanded, they were on reddit too offering refunds but then just pointing people to their support page which tell to to go bother Steam.

And while I get the sentiment, it is well past the refund time, Steam can be nice about refunds but I imagine they have been hit with a few hundred refund requests over this so it is not surprising they are saying no.

1 Like

You really tried to refund a game you played 65hrs? (This is why the linux community has a bad name)

12 Likes

And purchased 2 years ago…

7 Likes