Rocket League Dropping Mac and Linux support - Thank Epic

They are releasing one more patch in march and it will disable all online functionality, the store, trading and of course online play. Lan and Splitscreen will work.

We want Rocket League to be the best experience possible for all our players. This includes adapting to use new technologies.

Adapting by just giving up I guess.

If you purchased Rocket League for Mac or Linux on Steam you can download the Windows version. This version will run with full functionality on a PC (personal computer) with Windows 7 or newer.

If you bought it for Mac or Linux… Just use windows… Right.

After the final patch, the following online features will no longer function:

• Online Matchmaking
  • Private Matches
  • Tournaments
  • Rocket Pass
  • Item Shop / Esports Shop
  • In-Game Events
  • Friends List
  • Clubs
  • News Panel
  • New Custom Training Packs
  • New Steam Workshop Maps
  • Leaderboards
  • League Rankings

Players on Mac can try running Rocket League on Windows with Apple’s Boot Camp tool. Boot Camp is not something Psyonix officially supports. You can learn more here:

If you play Rocket League on Linux, you can try Steam’s Proton app or Wine. These tools are not officially supported by Psyonix. Please see the links to both below.

They will however keep supporting the PS4… yeah makes sense.

I knew it was coming the moment Epic absorbed Psyonix.

Fuck you EPIC and Psyonix.

13 Likes

No refunds?

Surprised that this is legal, they are bricking pretty much all the functionality for a primarily multiplayer game.

4 Likes

EDIT: They just direct you to steam, and considering teh circumstances Steam have been lenient with the refunds policy before, so they might help, but you will not get anything back from Psyonix or Epic for this, it will only hurt Steam if they accept the refund application.

Dons the foil headgear

Almost like that is Epic’s plan all along…

3 Likes

Guess I’m glad I never bought the game. Bet it still works in proton tho

3 Likes

I dont blame them TBH

https://twitter.com/bgolus/status/1080213166116597760

3 Likes

Which I would accept if it were not for the previous many years of support with out complaint from the company, they are upping sticks and fucking off in this case.

1 Like

I mean, yeah, it sucks… but I totally get why. Plus the general sentiment of ‘Fuck You’ if they do anything the linux community doesnt like just means linux doesnt get much in the way of attention.

1 Like

This is more a reaction to the company in general, it has been a very fast train down hill since they sold out to Epic. I personally don’t play the Linux version, but Did support them for that work.

It sounds like they’re expending significant ongoing development costs to maintain a build that supports a tiny minority of people. Think about it. If most of Microsoft’s bugfixing for Windows was to support people who are trying to run it on Chromebooks, would you continue supporting Chromebooks?

Until Linux gets it’s driver situation under control, Games aren’t going to be successful on Linux.

2 Likes

tbf Planetary Annihilation had BIG problems on linux. RL has no real linux problems AFAIK

If developers want to support linux, they should standardize on Proton as a runtime.

2 Likes

Thats true, but its more to illustrate the point of those markets not really selling at all and taking up a bunch of dev time.

Why continue to pander to a market that screams for support but then doesnt buy anyway?

2 Likes

It was not forced on th originally They wanted to do it. They even partnered with Steam to Boost the Linux deployment when Steam were pushing it originally.

This has all changed since Epic.

Have you ever started something, realized it was a much bigger project than you anticipated and dropped it or scaled it back because you didn’t have the time for it?

I mean, seriously, the game came out 5 years ago. We’re lucky it’s still getting active development.

3 Likes

They should do what Rust did, own their mistake. Pull linux support, and refund people who played on Linux.

3 Likes

That said the RL port was quite fine and really had no issues. Unlike Rust and PA

2 Likes

Again I would accept that if they made it known it was a huge deal but they were very supportive of Mac and Linux until Epic came along.

1 Like

Devils advocate here, the game might just not be popular enough to warrant continued support.

https://steamcharts.com/app/252950

Its sitting around 80k avg players… If you account for the fact that linux makes up less than 1% of the steam playerbase…

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

How many of the RL players were linux gamers?

If its not making you money it doesnt make sense to put the business under for a moral decision.

I would accept your displeasure if they came out and said “epic made us do it” but there’s a trend of multiple companies dropping Linux support on games for a plurality of reasons.