Rip My samsung s3 time to upgrade

So i got my Samsung s3 July 2012 it died yesterday. I’m gonna miss it, but time for morning is over. I’m look looking for a new phone something android with a price range of 100-600 usd. I plan to remove the stock rom and flash something better on it, so I don’t mind cheaper devices.

Anyone here a phone expert or have any good phone advice I need a long battery life, and something that can take a bit of a beating.

OnePlus 5T seems to be a solid option for around that price point, it was the most recommended phone when i needed and upgrade a few months ago.

Nokia 7 plus, Nokia 6, Nokia 8 or Oneplus 5T.
Decent battery life, excellent performance and sturdy build. The Nokia 6 is a built like a tank.

You can put whatever ROM you want on these phones but the Nokia’s come with stock Android and get monthly security updates. The Oneplus has oxygen OS which is very similar to stock Android but is much more tweakable. They all have headphone jacks and all the Nokia’s got SD card slots. All phones are currently on Android Oreo 8.0 except the Nokia 8 which is on Oreo 8.1.

Nokia 8
SoC: Snapdragon 835
Storage: 128/64GB
RAM: 6/4GB
Display: IPS 5,3" 16:9@1440P
Battery: 3090mAh
Dimensions: 151.5 x 73.7 x 7.9 mm

Nokia 7 Plus
SoC: Snapdragon 660
Storage: 64GB
RAM: 4GB
Display: IPS 6,0" 18:9@1080P
Battery: 3800mAh
Dimensions: 158.4 x 75.6 x 8 mm

Nokia 6 (2017)
SoC: Snapdragon 430
Storage: 64/32GB
RAM: 4/3GB
Display: IPS 5,5" 16:9@1080P
Battery: 3000mAh
Dimensions: 154 x 75.8 x 7.9 mm

Oneplus 5T
SoC: Snapdragon 835
Storage: 128/64GB
RAM: 8/6GB
Display: OLED 6,0" 18:9@1080P
Battery: 3300mAh
Dimensions: 156.1 x 75 x 7.3 mm

I have this, its by far the best phone I’ve ever had. The camera is stellar, the 6GB of RAM goes a long way. Camera is 24mp.

The Oneplus 5t (above) is probably a comparable match, likely cheaper. Also, I know the Zenfone 4 is out, and pretty nice as well. If you’re multitasking, I’d definitely look into more RAM, but that is me.

1 Like

What country you from, US? This will greatly influence your selection of phones. A lot of high-end phones (yes, you can get a high-end phone for $600.) have locked bootloaders that can’t be cracked, depending on your country of residence. It’s unfortunate that that some of the best phones out there have been denied to the custom ROM community.

Does company’s country of origin matter to you? I see a lot of recommendations for OnePlus. OnePlus is a Chinese phone manufacturer.

Get a Xiaomi
Oneplus is stupid to buy these days.
Nokia looks promising if your want simplicity.
I suggest you to buy Xiaomi Mi Max 2.

1. Processor: Snapdragon 835, max 2.45GHz
  2. GPU: Adreno 540 GPU
  3. Display: 5.99” full screen display (2160 x 1080 FHD+)
  4. SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
  5. RAM: 6GB dual channel LPDDR4x
  6. ROM: 64GB storage
  7. Rear Camera: 12MP 1.25μm, 4-axis OIS; 5-piece lens, ƒ/2.0 aperture
  8. Front Camera: 5MP Beautify with 36 smart beauty profiles; 1080p video call with real-time Beautify
  9. Video: 4K 30fps; 720p slow-mo 120fps
  10. Battery: Non-removable Li-Ion 3400 mAh battery

For More Info: http://www.mi.com/en/mix2/

its roughly 650$

Or if you want something low budget, then get this:

http://www.mi.com/en/mi-a1/

I am using this phone. If you want more info, then feel free to reply me.

Get a Galaxy S7 from the EU or Asia, the SM-G930F with the Exynos CPU.
The US Snapdragon model’s bootloader can’t be unlocked, on the EU model you only need to flip a switch in the developer option menu.

You can find them new in your price range and Lineage OS tends to support the S models for a looooooong time.

Only if you use GSM. If you’re in the US, and your carrier is CDMA, you’re out of luck. You would be dependent on LTE for your calls.

I decided to go with a LeEco | Le Pro3. I’ll have to install a custom rom but I’ve done it more times than I can count.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 processor
4gb ram
64gb storage
4070 mah battery
16mp camera
5.5 in screen
cost me 188.00 us

1 Like

Wowee those are some decent specs and the price for it is amazing, please do report back on how it hold up over some time of use.

I got my LG V30 on sale from B+H ($650) and I have been more than impressed with it. Battery lasts for about a day and a half with heavy media consumption. I LOVE the earbuds experience, although the speakers can be a bit tinny.

With the speakers being the only drawback, this phone has every other feature a phone could need: sd card slot, fingerprint scanner, small bezels, headphone jack, etc.

1 Like