RIP Caselabs: CaseLabs Declares Bankruptcy

Well seeing as how Linus was their only client I’m not surprised.

And JayzTwoCentz, and Barnacules

This dude is a freaking millinoir. He will probably buy the company or just its IP

No they got the cases Linus dropped.

A 10% tariff on aluminium. It wasn’t until last month that the US imposed that 10% tariff on Canada, their largest source of imported Aluminium.

Prices don’t seem to have been affected to much https://markets.businessinsider.com/commodities/aluminum-price (assuming this is the price in the US? wasn’t sure about that)

There’s no news of a aluminium shortage.

So where does 80% come from?

I’m guessing the huge accounts that defaulted that apparently their entire company relied on being paid from.

1 Like

Singularity computers will pick up the slack with crazy priced cases

Can confirmy case was late

Do you see the car and shit he drives he won’t buy a failed business he has no exp with

I saw his house in one of his xmas videos but not his car.

He got a nice place…

Linus is far from a millionaire.

Home sure car not so much

Remember Canadian peso

Linus has 15+ or Minus employees and a medium sized company… and he has to pay them good money, and the taxes up there are rape.

Linus is probably middle class at best in Canada

I have no plans to ever sell this thing.

Modify it perhaps, when I’m able to. Although nothing too extreme. Not going to mod the chassis, probably just make custom aesthetic panels for it.

Pissed that I won’t be able to get a fucking tempered glass door now. I’ll have to make my own.

Not to mention Canada just got into a trade war with the US (let’s not argue about who’s fault it is), so everything’s about to get more expensive.

Exactly. He’s doing well for his age, but he’s definitely not rich. The real difference between him and others in his situation is that he’s got one giant asset that can’t be liquidated very easily and therefore shouldn’t be considered when you classify him. If you’re basing simply off net worth, it’s possible his company’s worth 5 to 10 million, but even then, that’s still upper middle class.

https://www.pcper.com/news/Cases-and-Cooling/CaseLabs-and-Parent-Company-Bankrupt-and-Liquidating

Some interesting points in the comments section from 47knucklehead.

IF what he’s saying is to be true… tariffs just seems like an excuse to use for their poor management of the company.

August 11, 2018 | 10:20 AM - Posted by 47Knucklehead
Maybe you should get to know the people running the company you love and their politics and what they do.

The original founder of CaseLabs died on July 3, 2012.

Kevin Keating who was Vice President of CL quit back in May to focus on his own company, MOD-ONE.

Jim Keating, the President, really hasn’t done a good job with CL since he took over. Further, just look at his Facebook page, he has a personal/political axe to grind with the current administration. Without dragging politics into this discussion, it is really EASY to see why he is blaming everything on Trump rather than taking personal responsibility for his actions/inaction.

https://www.facebook.com/jim.keating.921

August 11, 2018 | 10:01 AM - Posted by 47Knucklehead
I’m sorry, but blaming this on the tariffs is just a joke. I own a manufacturing company that uses steel and aluminum and my costs have not gone up 80%. Further, the tariff on aluminum is only a 10%, STEEL is 25%. Further, there is a process to get EXEMPTIONS for products from the tariffs.

Finally, let’s not forget that this is nothing new. CaseLabs shut down their custom orders for many months and only reopened them on 10/20/2016. Since then they also have had long lead times on stock orders.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/380-case-labs/1614114-caselabs-custom-or

They have been having problems, well before the tariff went into effect or even was mentioned (or even Donald Trump was elected President), so in effect blaming him or the 10% aluminum tariff is just intellectually dishonest.

7 Likes

Yeah it was the US one I was referring to. Since that was only applied last month, caselabs seem to be trying to suggest that a one month potential increase of 10% on aluminium has caused them a 80% hike in costs so bad that it bankrupted the company in 30 days.

Seems unlikely.

1 Like

I actually assumed that the reason that Caselabs was so expensive was because it was manufactured in the USA.

As much as I’d love for this not to be political, it seems like @snowBlind623 brought up a good point and they’re just using the trade wars as an excuse to shut down a failing company whilst saving face and sticking it to the current administration.

1 Like

Oh @#$_, F.

Forever remember Caselabs. I’m rocking the s8