RIP Caselabs: CaseLabs Declares Bankruptcy

I don’t know how paying that much for a case would be justifiable. The most I’ll ever spend on a case was when I bought my Fractal Design R5 after it launched.

It is what’s packed into the inside that counts and when I have the option of spending $500 on a case or putting that money into components or real life issues then it’s going to the latter. My computer isn’t a trophy. My computer is a workstation.

Funny too. When I got my R5 I was torn between it and the Enthoo Pro because of aesthetics. I’m proud 15 year old me made the right choice :wink:

That is all just speculation.

RE: FWD:

is it? is it really?

by weight the aluminum sheets cost like $40 (google), and length so i can bend them myself (just checked) google; going to metal work shop + additional screws is going to cost me like $20 a day entry maybe lower depends… spray paint a $10-20… so we have about $90 here in usa. For me to do it myself…

for a company it should be half that price + price of a person working $30/h or so, and you can make about 1/hour if you optimize your process. Now lets say they paid before $5 for aluminum, and now they have to pay $20-30 - i don’t give a fck as a customer if product is $20-30 more expensive - and they can add it that its cause of high prices of materials.

No, they filed for bankruptcy… likely they took all kinds of loans and shit and it was just a good reason to close it fck down.

but do tell me whats so fcken expensive about metal sheets that prices soar same as high-end gpu.

That’s just to manufacture a case.

You’re forgetting about all the tooling in a factory needed, and the initial cost to design a case. A new case design, if no existing tooling exists, costs hundreds of thousands of dollars in tooling.

I’m sure there is also the time a designer spends on it, not to mention a QA engineer. They make a lot more than $30/h. Seeing as how each case had huge amounts of variation there was definitely a lot of work going into that.

1 Like

hold on, are you telling me they lost all the tooling in their company too? OR they didn’t have it anymore since everything was done in china?

Pretty much every case retailer has their stuff produced in China because that’s where the factories are.

GamersNexus did a video on this very question. See, “Why do all modern cases look the same”.

Found it for you.

Exactly. Not only that, but storefront, fulfilment, powder coating and losses on returns are huge aspects.

aha so they were just a front company, while Chinese doing everything. I don’t mind them going out of business. They are a lie - of usa company… they don’t produce anything.

Yeah, the more I hear about them, the more I’m falling in line with this thought.

They’re not a lie.

They were a company who had their products produced in a factory elsewhere because factories are expensive to build.

I’m sorry that a small niche case retailer didn’t have the capital to build their own factories, tooling, and injection moulding. Shame on them.

Seriously watch the video. It’s nine minutes. If you don’t have that much time then just skip to 7:00 as he gives the price ball park there.

2 Likes

i heard they were a company for a very long time, they should have had the capital to own their own tooling.

They should just rename to CaseLabsChina and sell it for normal price not a price that we would pay if it was made in usa. I would be fine with that.

Their about page.

In late 2010, we looked at what was available in the enthusiast case market and felt we could offer something that was significantly more flexible. Our goal was to design a case that was extremely modular and would allow a user to easily tailor the case to their exact needs without the need for difficult and time consuming modifications. The overwhelming majority of cases on the market impose strict design constraints; the choices for mounting hardware and cooling systems are very limited

they look like LianLi but in ‘usa’ probably same guys do stuff for them.

Wow bro. You really hate China

4 Likes

Do you just hate everything when you hear the word “China”? Because the impression I’m getting from you is uber-nationalism.

3 Likes

no, I hate business posing as its from certain country, and pricing their stuff as if they were made locally. Instead they made it in china for $50 or something and sell it to us for $500.

Thats what I hate.

3 Likes

Jinx…

1 Like

Timestamped it for you.

If case design plus tooling costs that much. Likely they will need to take out business loans which they have to make payments on. Somehow they have to make a profit to keep the lights on and pay off their debt and feed the employees. On top of being in a niche market. Then that’s probably why the “$50” case costs $500. Because it has to.

no it doesn’t.

That guy is talking out off his ass.

2 Likes