RIP Caselabs: CaseLabs Declares Bankruptcy

The sad thing is, I can’t imagine what they had being made in China based on the actual quality of my own case.

I’ve enough experience with metals to be able to tell when something is made of Chinesium, and this ain’t that. Overpriced maybe, but it’s definitely not the usual “Advertise as one thing, ship as pot metal that can be poked through with tweasers”

Just bought the last side fan mount in Gunmetal that was available Amazon, now to find as many of the drive cages as I possibly can.

Maybe it was the ridiculous amount of packing materials in their flat packed cases, maybe it was paint?

If it’s the fucking screws I’m going to be angry, as well as laugh. This thing has like 14 screws for each joint in the top front, top back, bottom front, and bottom rear.

Then again Dell can only send my employer something like 4 screws for every part order we make and absolutely refuses to send us more than that for any given order, regardless of screw type or the number of parts ordered.

Literally, if we order a part and screws, we get the part with an individual screw bag containing 4 screws. And it’s actually a nicer plastic ziplock baggy than you can get in stores. Heavier plastic.

This can occur for hundreds, if not thousands, of parts at a time if it’s summer and we’re in “bulk repair” mode.

1 Like

Looks like NFC sold out at the perfect time. Good for him.

1 Like

JayzTwoCents is going to release a Vlog about this I’m sure.

3 Likes

ppl give them too much respkt; they are supposed to be american based and they sold for price cases as if they were american made. They weren’t…

so yeah RIP fatties.

3 Likes

The material is material, who cares where it comes from so long as its conflict-free and of high quality?

1 Like

if it was about material they’d be fine using merican steel/metal sheets; they aren’t that expensive - and not to mention plenty of gun business uses them here in us.
They are fukken cheap, and have better quality.

2 Likes

I believe they had to charge such markup to make up for the volume.

Low volume in a niche space equals higher markup.

On the twitter post, it said they only had around 20,000 customers.

1 Like

what if they actually leveled the price for actual costs. If they were getting pretty much everything from china it’ll likely cost them $20 for case they put up as $400…

maybe then they’d have better business.

and they could easily take over the market stating ‘made in usa’ or whatever. LianLi would have problems.

No one sells anything at cost. If they have no profit margin they cannot run a commercial business, take care of themselves, feed their family, etc.

1 Like

what costs are we talking about if you can get it all done cheap, and shipped to you for 40-60$, and you sell it for $400-600 you make 10x profit.

You hire 2-3 ppl to handle orders and customer service; boom cool business.

If you’re so curious about what it actually costs them why don’t you ask them? I’m sure they’d be happy to tell you.

1 Like

don’t care enough to ask; but if they were healthy business they’d be able to keep on without china. If its about materials they are sometimes cheaper here in US than in china. This shows bad play at work.

I don’t know how paying that much for a case would be justifiable. The most I’ll ever spend on a case was when I bought my Fractal Design R5 after it launched.

It is what’s packed into the inside that counts and when I have the option of spending $500 on a case or putting that money into components or real life issues then it’s going to the latter. My computer isn’t a trophy. My computer is a workstation.

Funny too. When I got my R5 I was torn between it and the Enthoo Pro because of aesthetics. I’m proud 15 year old me made the right choice :wink:

That is all just speculation.

RE: FWD:

is it? is it really?

by weight the aluminum sheets cost like $40 (google), and length so i can bend them myself (just checked) google; going to metal work shop + additional screws is going to cost me like $20 a day entry maybe lower depends… spray paint a $10-20… so we have about $90 here in usa. For me to do it myself…

for a company it should be half that price + price of a person working $30/h or so, and you can make about 1/hour if you optimize your process. Now lets say they paid before $5 for aluminum, and now they have to pay $20-30 - i don’t give a fck as a customer if product is $20-30 more expensive - and they can add it that its cause of high prices of materials.

No, they filed for bankruptcy… likely they took all kinds of loans and shit and it was just a good reason to close it fck down.

but do tell me whats so fcken expensive about metal sheets that prices soar same as high-end gpu.

That’s just to manufacture a case.

You’re forgetting about all the tooling in a factory needed, and the initial cost to design a case. A new case design, if no existing tooling exists, costs hundreds of thousands of dollars in tooling.

I’m sure there is also the time a designer spends on it, not to mention a QA engineer. They make a lot more than $30/h. Seeing as how each case had huge amounts of variation there was definitely a lot of work going into that.

1 Like

hold on, are you telling me they lost all the tooling in their company too? OR they didn’t have it anymore since everything was done in china?

Pretty much every case retailer has their stuff produced in China because that’s where the factories are.

GamersNexus did a video on this very question. See, “Why do all modern cases look the same”.

Found it for you.

Exactly. Not only that, but storefront, fulfilment, powder coating and losses on returns are huge aspects.