Right to Repair Laptops

So with the recent FTC push for R2R we are seeing some companies help with that

Framework

@wendell this laptop by framework is really freaking cool. I feel like it might be a good additional to review it or tear it down. Show us how linux works on it etc. I would love to see you do a review if this is something that tickles your fancy. Its pretty cool IMHO.

Their page:

News on it:

(link sanitized my god every tracker in the world. I hate engadget sometimes)

Tear down:

IFixit Tear down:

Linus Reviews it!:

Apparently USB 4 cert is already done. They are waiting on intel for the TB4. This is even more excellent news

My closing thoughts on them will come from my rather environmental/conservationlist point of view: Finally a manufacturer that seems to care about sustainability and the environment by action not hot air. How many laptops do you go through because something busts on them? How many resources are wasted on this. Pushing a model of repair-ability and a business model on providing quality end user parts seems possible. I hope to see them succeed

System 76

The big name in Linux purpose built laptops right now and they do support the R2R a good bit more than other manufacturers.

Now they have really nice coreboot specification stuff. They also open source everything they do.

You can check them out there. Ive considered getting a laptop from them for some time but the lack of TB on the coreboot models seems to be something thats not good for the prospect of an eGPU.

If anyone has any other PERFORMANT examples. Please feel free to post them

3 Likes

Eh honestly much out of warrenty the laptop isnt worth fixing for an end users. Cost is to high for the skilled labor needed. If its like a charging port sure but thats generally not hard or too expensive. Parts are somewhat available for most stuff minus apple proprietary stuff.

Usually yeah but it seems those guys have a different approach. They open sourced the schematics for their little addon ports, One could easily hack fix the broken parts from what im seeing. Might be a game changer.

1 Like

You could take the motherboard off, 3d print a case and turn it into a desktop.
They even give you some schematics.

2 Likes

That’s pretty epic I wouldn’t do that until it reached end of life for me taking it around I would probably turn it into a server system or some light task system

It would be a good testing system over prod

1 Like

Was interested but then saw the price tag.

Thats pretty standard tbch im fine with that price if it means repair-ability rn in todays market

For you $500 special - likely true, but for business workstations, gaming rigs or premium ultralights could all have enough value to justify it.

Or if you are a school/office that has 400 of a model year and repair in house.

For a custom lower volume run? Not bad at all really.

Are you trying to call me poor or say I use cheap gear? No I do not but honestly you get a warranty if your a business so you know your costs. Out of warranty you probably should just buy a new model at that point. Accidental damage is a thing and you can fix most of that stuff generally. You can order most parts from dell etc / have them serviced. Sure Apple is a bit different but I havent seen a ton of you cant buy the part when it comes to other OEMs.

X220. It’s got all the hardware I need to use as a defcon throw away.

No, and I don’t really care either way. I’m assuming your typical warranty is 2 years on average, maybe 3 if it’s real good, and that’s about the serviceable life of a cheap laptop, whereas the higher end is more typically 4-5 years. Sure you can buy a warranty that long but it’s quite expensive.

And Dell only sells the Warranty at a price they think they’ll make money on. At a certain point it makes more sense to self-insure, and accidental damage typically only kicks in for one event. The second time a kid drools on the keyboard, you’re SOL.

And beside Dell support is a f*^&ing pain to deal with. (at least in my experience). Even if they do offer basic parts for a reasonable period of time.

And BTW my backup work laptop 11 years old, has 44,410 hrs on it and running just fine (I just don’t dare connect it to the internet, but that’s a software issue). Some of these high end machines are just plain tanks.

Im never going to defcon tbch. So I mean performant as in good CPU… possible discrete GPU

I’m getting the impression that you’re anti right-to-repair.

Gonna be honest. Sometimes (and mutation I say this as a friend) it feels like he takes the opposite position of anything he runs into. It only feels that way it doesnt mean its true but the way some stuff comes off m8. I know im rough with it too but your statesments, mutation, come off this way in this post. Its okay if you are. Particularly if you are, do you care to share why you are anti right to repair (if you are)?

I’m curious because there’s actually a lot of people on both sides of this. Most of the people I meet that are anti right to repair see it as things going to become more expensive because people need to make money and it’s not exactly the best business model and so on and so forth

1 Like

I have had noting but amazing support using them on two different business contracts. They ships parts quickly with little questions asked. (CPU fan and laptop battery)

To be expected you dont sell something at a loss.

I am all for right to repair stuff Louis is pushing for and I do like laptops and phones being fixed and not becoming ewaste, I just havent see any compelling issues from anyone but Apple to drive crazy rage.

1 Like

I am saying its not as huge of an issue and only major offender is Apple in the laptop space. Maybe there is a ton more travesties, but I havent seen it. Again I am for what Louis is pushing for, but its just not as crazy of an issue for a ton of products.

https://www.ifixit.com/laptop-repairability
Apple / Microsoft are the major issue people
I dont think anyone else is doing things preventing screens/charger chip purchasing etc.

1 Like

Yep, just pretend to be a business. Set up a fake business name, doesn’t even have to be registered as a company. Then they suddenly treat you well.

At least, that’s how I do it. Newegg, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Cisco, etc…

2 Likes

Only other laptop company I had to deal with was razor and it was fine, shitty I had an issue so early into buying it but was fine. Idk maybe people just expect same day fixes or something, or are rude to the lower tier people who have to read the script even if you know whats going on if its a phone call

1 Like

I expect progress towards resolution in fairly short order. I also don’t expect to pay $30 for support to diagnose my laptop when I know that the battery is expanded and no longer safe, just for them to come to the same conclusion. @hp

When I call for a replacement part, I want the tech to tell me the price, take my billing/shipping info and then help me order the part. I don’t want to be transfered to 30 different techs.

2 Likes