Ridiculous system RAM usage and I don't know why [It came back]

Strangely, I haven't experienced the horror stories of Win10 being a resource hog that so many others have attested to. As it stands right this second, I'm using 28% of 16GBs (so 4.5) and I have 9 Chrome tabs open, Nexus Mod Manager, Skype, Steam home page, Airdroid, MSI AfterBurner, my gaming mouse software, Rainmeter, and Overwolf.

Granted, I did spend a few hours "hacking" and locking down the OS because I don't like Micro$soft sticking their hands in my pants, so I might just be running more efficiently because of that. But problems like what the OP is having... yikes, this kind of stuff doesn't make any sense.

neither have I until now

And I have run every preview build of Win 10 since the insider program started, as my daily driver

Do you have any outstanding windows updates?

no

this is a memory leak.

shut down your system and reseat your memory modules.

Then do a sfc /scannow in cmd under administrator.

If problem is still persisting, you can try swapping RAM with new dimms.

It could be on the software level, but the fact that so many processes are having this issue is a problem... so I recommend you try the new RAM before you re-install your OS.

I had the exact same problem all I did was update my network driver and it was solved.

Its happening again

GTA V online + 11 chrome tabs

What is this

this did not help, at least with active RAM usage

gonna try different RAM

So I tried my Corsair Vengeance out and still 85% usage with GTA and 11 tabs-o-chrome, but once I closed GTA it dropped back to ~30% so that means GTA was using 4GB of RAM 0.o

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/rammap

maybe this can give you some idea what is hogging all the memory

1 Like

i'd recommend you to either upgrade your RAM or perform a fresh OS install

I had this problem, it sucked... a lot. Had to restart my computer every 3 hours because it would just burn through my 16gb freaking gbs.

Like others have said, this in no way sounds like a hardware problem. Meaning new ram won't fix it.

Start your computer in safe mode with networking and let it run long enough for the problem to happen. Try to use it as you normally would. You won't have videos drivers so that could be difficult...

If the leak doesn't (you don't burn through all your ram) happen you know its not at the OS level.

Mine was caused by Killer Network Manager, if you have the program install disable it and see if that helps.

@PCFixation is right, if your up for some digging, that program will help.

Either way when you find this thing it will be night and day.

Edit: another idea is temporarily disable all start up programs and use it for enough time and see if the leak happens. If it doesn't then you know its something your starting when you use your computer.

I'm sitting at 37% usage with 32GB of ram. I remember last year before that forced rollout I was having under 30% usage and in windows 8.1 I was having 10-20%. My bro's PC on windows 8 had 3gb out of 16gb used at one time if I remembered correctly.

hmmm, I do have killer

and it does make sense since GTA Online is the real bear of my issues

I think I might have found something, gonna see how this goes

hold on...I might have something here

non paged memory pool has dropped from gigabytes to megabytes

1 Like

You could also try stopping the superfetch/prefetch service in services, on an older PC i had a problem where Superfetch wouldn't clear properly keeping a lot of ram locked in.

We may have a winner?

I believe so

I want to keep this thread open in case it comes back