RGB in linux

Hey this is my first linux post, im wondering im looking into doing a cpu/motherboard/ram upgrade and want to have rgb to work. im looking for anything on the am4 platform is there any rgb ecosystem that has some support for linux? im using fedora 30 Linux 5.2.8-200.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP x86_64 GNU/Linux

Not in the same way there is on Windows since none of the MB vendors officially supports linux. There are various community implementations though, bit those typically only work for certain things.

One example is CKB-next:

From a technical standpoint it’s possible, since they all just use RGB controllers that are available on the market. Thing is just getting to them…

Generally it would be a good idea to get a mainboard where you can control the RGB in the BIOS, though the options are usually pretty limited there.

I don’t know of any that exist out of the box. Bet bet is probably to look for open source projects that attempt to reverse engineer existing ones.

Usually if it’s proprietary, it won’t work.

Ok the GitHub page seems to only be for accessories not RGB headers on the motherboard is there anything to control those
(Most uefi settings that I know of seem to be only on/off if you know of any with color control that would work to)

Mh not sure really… found this when searching dnf:

But I’m not quite sure if it really does Mainboard headers… it says RGB LED strips but… idk :thinking:

1 Like

thanks ! I was going to do my own project for my NZXT Kraken X61

I think it could be late, but OpenRGB work at least, with everything I have tested, gigabyte motherboard, geil gskill and adata rams, effects arent working for me, but static colours like a charm

1 Like

I think the solution for you is to find an external controller that works in linux and add your own rgb. As stated prevdously, there are tools, but RGB doesn’t exactly have a comminication standard yet. IMO its a dumb gimmick, and it’ll take a while for stuff to come around yet.

Never heard of that one

Anyway, link: