RFC: new build specs ok?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently researching my next PC. It will be my first build and I'm looking for some expert opinions on the specs.
What I have so far is this:
Mobo: Asus strix Z270H
Mem: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 16gb (2x8gb)
Proc: intel Core i7 7700K
Case: corsair Carbide 200R (windowless)
Proc cooling: corsair hydro series H100i V2
HD: Samsung 850 EVO M.2 500GB
Supply: Corsair CX600 V2 600W
Gfx: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X

The main questions I have are:
Is the memory the right choice considering clockspeed etc?
is the HD (samsung 850 M.2) the right type for the motherboard?
According to pcpartpicker I have a power use of about 380W. Should I go for the 600w supply or is 500 enough? I'm guessing that the least bit of overclocking will ramp that figure up quickly.

My budget is €2000 max.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: fix mobo name

Don't cheap out on the PSU. The Corsair CX series Line is one of the worst available.

Get something like a Seasonic M12II or S12II with a similar power rating.

If you want faster ram than 2133/2400 you typically need a z chipset board

If your case can handle the height, get a noctua nh-d15/nh-d15s - it performs better than the 100i, is quieter and less expensive, and has no chance of failing catastrophically. Only reason to get a CLC is the aesthetics, and this is a windowless build. (Just checked for you, the 200r has enough clearance for the noctuas)

2 Likes

Inb4 get ryzen.

That all looks good, the HD will work with the mobo: - 1 x M.2_1 Socket 3 with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA and PCIE 3.0 x2 mode)*

Agree with @tkoham about the psu, seasonic are great, the corsair rmx line are good too.

Looking at the specs of H270 it seems ram will only run at 2400?

that's Z270H, looks like a typo. specs are here:

looks like it supports any speed

in that case, just make sure your dimms are on the memory support list and you're golden

I'll check out the Noctuas. The corsair cooling seems to be easy to install and the case has fan slots on top, perfect for the h100i.
As for the case, for all I care it's just a wooden box. aesthetics are not important to me.

Thanks

I actualy own several 200Rs -- the mounting for water cooling can be very, very tight on top mounts. Unless you want to go for a 120mm rad on the back, which will perform even worse than the noctuas, I wouldn't recommended it in this case.

I have a Noctua NH-u14S in my day to day rig -- also a very good choice.

Ohh I was looking at a totally different board.http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/TUF_Z270_MARK1/Z270_PRIME_TUF_STRIX_QVL.pdf?_ga=1.195030445.1060256133.1492427832 you're good to go on that front.

which case would you recommend for those noctuas?

the 14 will fit in the 200R off the bat, the 15/15s will fit but it'll be pretty tight. If you want a case that will definitely support it, maybe look at:

• Corsair 400Q/500R/300R
  • Fractal Design Define R4/S
  • Any other case that has 165mm+ CPU cooler clearance

note that you want to buy the 14 or 15S if you have ram with tall heat spreaders

I guess I'll go for the R4. It looks well build, mostly steel. The Corsairs seem nice too but if I want to keep this sub €100 I'll go with the R4 because it's quite a bit bigger and has more options for future expansion (fans). Also has more USB on the front.

I think I'm good on the RAM clearance in regards to the cooler but I'll definitely ask for advice at my favourite retailer.