Review of £900 Gaming PC for friend

I'm building a gaming PC for my friend and I was hoping you guys could critique any part choices. Mostly be playing AAA titles like BF4 and GTA as well as less demanding games like LoL, Smite and CS GO hoping to get 60fps on ~ultra.
Keyboard, mouse and monitor is needed as well as the tower. No OS required.
Ideal price would be between £800 to £900 but £1000 is the absolute maximum.

PC Partpicker list:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£142.97 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus H97-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£82.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£43.63 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£47.89 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.80 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Edition Video Card (£240.15 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.50 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£62.48 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£10.06 @ CCL Computers)
Monitor: BenQ GW2265HM 60Hz 21.5" Monitor (£101.88 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse (£26.38 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £865.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-12 00:58 BST+0100

The PC will mainly be used for gaming and some light 3d modelling work. Thanks guys!

looks good to me,
maybe you could concider a Xeon E3-1231-V3 over the i5 for your modeling work,
cause this chip offers 4 cores 8 threads. and its just a few pounds more then the most expensive i5.
But of course the locked i5-4590 is a bit cheaper.

1 Like

If you're able, you might want to go with a 250GB SSD. The 120 can get used up quickly, especially with the page and hib files.

1 Like

Just disable hibernation and turn off paging for the ssd and enable paging on the hdd.

1 Like

I second the larger SSD. Mystery Angel already gave the other piece of relevant advice. Looks good.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions guys. An SSD upgrade might be a possibility, I'll have to ask if my friend is able to fit it in their budget.
Would the i5 perform better than the xeon in gaming scenarios because he'd prioritise that over modelling.

I'd switch out the monitor for this one, its 24" 1ms, £125.99
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/benq-monitor-rl2455hm

Word of warning, stay away from CCL computers. I have had nothing but issues with them in the past, mainly focusing around very poor communication and lack of updates to the customer.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/WM7WTW

This will probably give you the best value you can get though there is room to replace some parts with a similar product. The 16GB of RAM is merely for the modeling work and not really a requirement though it is very nice to have extra RAM if you are one that has many tabs open in chrome or one that hosts a minecraft server. Reduce it down to 8GB if you do not require the extra RAM

I would suggest this as its a full size and newer mobo. Good catch on the i5 vs Xeon hyperthread value, basically a i7 for the price of i5

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/L7WbQ7

The price difference is absolutely minimal and should he decide to get an I5/I7 later (Perhaps a used or new 4790k) then he will still be able to use the 1866. Without XMP it will default using JEDEC to 1333 (probably cas 9) anyway so saving 4 pounds on RAM which is most likely slightly lesser in quality is fairly redundant

The Xeon E3-1231-V3 will perform the same in games that using up to 4 threads then the 4590.
But in well optimzed multithreaded games, it will edge out the i5.

I put slower ram because of max compatibility not price. I once saw a i7 960 burn out an ASUS Rampage III because it supported 1066 mhz ram and it was on 2133mhz. Intels dont work well with "probably" ;)

1600mhz ram will be totaly fine,
highspeed ram doesnt make any sense for that matter.

Updated config for 1600mhz, Xeon E3-1231-V3 and matching color schemes :)
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/L7WbQ7

looks fine to me ☺