Reusing a Laptop Screen

I was going to post this in Inbox.exe, but I thought I would try here first.  

So what I want to do is learn how to use the LCD out of an old laptop and hook it up to another computer (basically, I want to do what Logan and Wendell did with the retina display, but I want to know how to do it with any old laptop screen).  I'm not worried about mounting it because I will figure out a way to do that depending on the application.  I'm just worried about the electronics and the interface.  I don't know if there is a standard way to do this or if every LCD is different.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I have never tried this myself but i think that most manufacturers use their screens differently. Depending on the laptop the controller may be built in to the motherboard which means you'll need a new one. If the laptop is so expendable then i would just open it up and see if it is soldered on or just connected with cables and go from there.

If you want to look far from it, as you would do on a normal monitor or a TV, it's actually useless if you tell me, depending on the resolution:screen-size ratio. Laptop screens are usually for close proximity viewing. So I don't know how you will try to tolerate trying to squint alot looking at small objects.

As long as you are fine with the possibility of a broken laptop then it shouldn't be much harder than extending some cables. (have a look around in some shifty wholessale stores)

Considering laptop LED's use (typically) proprietary ribbon cables it's not going ot be a simple plug and play endeavor, but if you have the prowess to rig up some cabling it's possible to do such things so long as it fits into the screen area alloted on the new laptop.

Also be wary of older LCD screens as they require an inverter.