Restaurant ordering kiosk

Taken from Watch_Dogs, he brings up a great point about what happens when you loose connectivity even for a short while when the world depends on it, and the unintentional victims of such behavior.
He presents a moral quandary to our main character

So I feel like I have been ordering pizza online for a really long time. I think it is a really great way to order something that I want. I dont know how it changed the pizza industry vs me calling in and waiting on hold to talk to the pizza guy. I also like ordering on the starbucks app over the front counter, the lines are outta control in the mornings and I choose to not make time for that.

1 Like

Yes I fixed the spelling error in the title

1 Like

see the thing is you still have the option to walk in place an order some places hot and ready so away you go or wait for order to be made. its a choice not a forced way of doing things. take away a persons choice and they will revolt give them a choice and they will be glade to make it. and yes i have used online ordering for pizza a few times and generally more of a pain in the ass with discounts so meh. broke papa johns ordering for 20 min trying to use a discount had to call to place order.

2 Likes

Have you been to the U.S.A. People eff up their own orders when communicating verbally, even after having it read back to them, and they still get up in arms about the cashier getting their orders wrong. Hell, I have seen at the local Wal-Mart and Home Depot of people effing at the self service terminals even with clear instructions.

Here the false belief of the customer always being right allows this to happen, even when the customer is completely in the wrong.

I have a feeling that these kiosk will end up like HitchBot, because 'merca.

It may not be a bad thing to show that we do not want this. The sad truth is that we cannot handle this.

To under stand this, you should really look at how the French deal with this. Automation has it’s purpose but it is mostly used so that the people can slow down and take a break.

In the US, we grab fast food because it is convenient and only take 5-10 minutes out of our busy day. This allows us to keep going and brag about how we don’t take time off from work and blah blah.

The French on the other hand tend to work 4 10 hour shifts a week so that they have an extra day for the rest. when the go to the Cafe or for Lunch, you tend to find them slowly enjoying the mean with a book, magazine, or smoking (not the best choice but has calming effects). They tend to not talk about work and use this time to catch up or plan what they will do with their time off or the 6 weeks of vacation that they get.

1 Like

i know there are good things about automation but seriously it has no place replacing humans in a restaurant in my eyes. aiding a job fine but out right replacing the human big fat hell no in my mind.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree with you at all. Hell I give gifts like tire rotations and car tune ups because I know that it keeps jobs here in the USA. My family members hate it but it keeps them safe and they don’t have to pay for it out of their pockets.

I was just saying that French culture has approached automation differently and have used it to keep the French philosophy alive that you need to enjoy your free time. Not get rid of it. automation allows the low service worker to not have to work so hard. It allows people to make more time for themselves. It allows some leeway in the system to allow them to not feel that everything is critical to the bottom line.

eating at wendy’s
caring about hygene

pick one

The time to boycott Wendys was when the person behind the counter changed from the high school kid looking to make some money for college to the immigrant looking to make a career out of the bottom rung of the employment ladder.

most of our local wendys are still local students the foreigners usually come in the summer months and work the gift shops for the tourist season. and other crap jobs that have long hours no overtime and a butt load of other things some good most bad. good example is the bike rental fleet average week for the students that come over is 97hrs. my average week as the head mechanic was 99 hrs longest was 110 hrs. no overtime no benefits nothing.

1 Like

That is true of most of American society. When we have grown ass adults looking to make a career out of working a job that was meant for high schoolers and college students, no hike of the minimum wage can fix that. We have an education problem as well as skills availability problem.

Is anyone making them work this job? Oh no? Then who cares.

sadly they are usally tricked into it. and it costs them about 4k to come over so they take what they were tricked into grit there teeth to make back the money it costs to come over and hope to make enough to make it worth there while . so a gun to head no but coercion yes big time.

1 Like

We have this issue in Washington state. It is a big problem with people from the poorer Asian countries. Eventually the ladies get coerced into prostitution because the jobs that they were promised were either temporary or with the rise in min-wage and other taxes on the business owners, the job goes away.

Bullshit.
It’s not coercion. It’s choice. One being freely made.

its ok for you to think that. but once you live and work with them and see what is really happening you might not think so. as they say ignorance is bliss.

1 Like

I’d argue against this. I work with more than enough people who can justify not giving a shit about their fellow human beings.

Call the authorities on them.
If not who cares.

for the sake of not starting a flame war or attacking a person for there thought process its just best to live and let live. even if its not the best thing to do. ( dont like making things way to personal.)

2 Likes

in my state what was done is in the legal grey area some what legal and not punishable but morally right certainly not.

1 Like