[Resolved] Future 8350 Upgrade: What board?

To preface:

Current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vffYjX
Mobo in question: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130790&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

My box right now is for streaming and gaming. My future upgrades are mobo (which I am doing sometime next week most likely), 8350, 380, new case, full platform change to Zen / Skylake (that is a few years down the road).

Issue: I was looking at getting an MSI 970 Gaming board because I can buy one locally for about 60 dollars. They are richly in stock and brand new. I wanted to be able to get an 8350 after (or 70 if there is a large difference, never seen one though) by Feb / May next year and have a good linux box all around for all of my editing / streaming / gaming needs. As a linux box this will be wonderful as linux is better on older-ish equipment and I see no reason to get an i5 or anything when AMD is what I favor.

Anyways, in recent discussion here I was told the 8XXX chips caused the VRM on the mobo in question to overheat and burn up and this was a large issue (despite seeing 8350/70's packaged with this mobo everywhere). So now I'm stuck. Do I get this mobo and go to the 6XXX area? Is there another motherboard that will handle CFX (which I do plan on having available if I ever want to try it) and an 8xxx chip that is just as cheap?

I can do at max 90 bucks which is why this looked so well and until now I have heard nothing bad about the 970 G board.

Edit: I would like to stay ATX if possible, if not, welll.......... Shit.

It looks like a Frankenstein project man

I'd just save up maybe and buy a new PC sometime, or maybe just get an 8320e with this board when you get a chance

I'm also not sure how well that PSU will handle overclocking, you'd be pushing it near it's limit

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jsm4vK
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jsm4vK/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-8320E 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor ($125.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($56.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $182.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-24 17:43 EDT-0400

1 Like

I would most likely be getting a new PSU by the time overclocking was a big issue for me. For now a bump from 3.2 to 3.4 to zip up loading times in league of legends or just to have that little bump on my phenom is enough and overall OC is not too much of a concern for me right now.

And yeah, it's a bit frankenstein :P Most of my PC's are.

Frankly if you don't already have a AM3+ board the 8350 isn't really a good buy anymore. Lga 1150 Xeon's like the 1231-v3 are the smart buy right now. Or even the lowest end locked I5.

If you do want to get an 8350 system for whatever reason, you can run it on an MSI 970 Gaming but the VRM's run hot and if you overclock they'll die fast. Baseline for an 8350 system is still the Asus 990fx pro 2.0 or Asus 990x Evo 2.0.

Might as well go sabertooth for AM3+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-AMD+Motherboards-_-N82E16813131877&gclid=CJy7u4-L3MgCFQutaQodu8wJlw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Made an edit.

I like AMD as a whole and all my systems in the past have been AMD. Past that, the 8350 was beating out other chips that were newer by a year at streaming completely maxed out. The 8 cores would be useful on that level for me. Down to the mark, yeah, a locked i5 might do better but at the same time AMD is kinda my home area :P I dunno it seems stupid but meh.

Edit: In stream everything in game is set to medium but where the 8 cores might help is with running as many applications at once as I do.

I like AMD too, but it's just not a good choice for most people unless there are some serious budget constants

Otherwise you could just go with something like this and get better performance overall

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4KbQcf
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4KbQcf/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $322.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-24 17:57 EDT-0400

Mehhhhh if you stream with Obs your going to actually have a better time using QuickSync on the Intel then even the 8350 with double the cores. I come at this front the perspective of someone who ran an 8350 for a year and a half, burnt it out overclocking the hell out of it, and then moved to a Xeon 1231-v3 based system. The change really did make a huge difference in my everyday usage. I play a lot of games and will do editing plus some 3d work from time to time. The Xeon even running 600mhz slower then my 8350 on its daily overclock(3.8ghz - Xeon and 4.4ghz 8350 daily) made a big difference. The system just feels snappier and the performance did jump up a bit.

1 Like

I honestly would love that but the most money I make is working on the farm I live on and having money slotted for me over time and odd jobs that come in and out.

I don't doubt that at all. My reasoning for it though is that money for me comes every once in a while. I am working on finding a job as well as A+ cert and other stuff. If I could grab a xeon based build then yeah obviously I would go for that. Seeing as how the 8350 beat others out only 2 years ago I do not mind if it is under older hardware, especially since it's in my price range. Overclocking also isn't a gargantuan concern for me. If there is a huge gap of seeing issues then yeah I might bump up a little but, but I am working with a Phenom Ii X4 955 right now and having no issues. An 8350 is a huge jump for me right now.

Basically what I am seeing is I will be able to get this board and an 8350 if I wanted to, though the 8XXXe chips will be better if I wanted to set the clock up and they possibly won't heat up the VRM as badly; am I getting that right?

I would look to get a higher end motherboard. I mean 8350s are not exactly power friendly. They take a lot of power to run nicely. Honestly MSI motherboards do not have nice VRMs.. Look into some of the ASrock mid rangers. They are pretty nice.

Though to be frank upgrading to a core i5 system will result in generally better performance

For the 8350 I would go with the 990FX chipset. The ASRock 990FX Extreme9 is a solid board for the 8xxx cpus.
Just saw your $90 limit. That could get tricky. Personally I would not feel comfortable running a 8350 on a 970 board. If you can go up by 40 bucks this board will serve you well.

I couldn't agree more

3 Likes

If you're going to get a 970 board, then ya shoot for the e parts, or shoot for the e parts either way.

Mostly I'd suggest you just save up cash, maybe sell the PC you got to raise some more funds in the 600 dollar range

I have an i7 machine I am going to sell, possibly. And before anyone says anything it's a gen 1 i7.

Wait isn't the first gen i7 PC going to be faster than your current rig?

1 Like

I dont wanne be rude or something, but a combo like that is not realy that great.
In fact there are still no decent m-atx boards that are realy designed to run a FX8 core on.
Remember that the FX-E models are basicly the same cpu´s as a normal FX8 core, they are exact the same thing.
The only reason why they are rated at a lower tdp, is because their base frequancy is only 3.2GHz.
But as soon as you overclock these chips to lets say 4.2Ghz, it will use arround the same amount of power as a normal FX8350 does, or atleast within a margin of error.
This is because all FX8 core cpu´s are basicly the same thing, same architecture, same core´s same everything.

Well this board could basicly handle a FX8320 or FX8350, however i would not recommend to overclock too far on this board.
Because the vrms and mosfets indeed can get pretty hot on this board, wenn you go passed 4.5Ghz.

I agree, Qain is exaly using the Xeon E3-1230-V3 which is the preducessor of the Xeon E3-1231-V3, and as we know he does allot of streaming.
The Xeon is indeed a good chip for streaming definitely.
However you cannot utilize Qsync with these two particular Xeon´s, because they lacks on a igpu.
But other then that, those Xeon´s do a decent job in streaming.

1 Like

I built something new because the GPU burned out (a GT330 that came in a optiplex 980). Yeah it's faster but all proprietary parts.

If you're really stuck on AMD I'd go for something like the sabertooth board, it should be about the best AM3+ board, aside from the few that exist with USB 3.1 on them

1 Like

Sabertooth is definitely a sollid board.
But i assume its out of "op´s" price range.

But if you're going to be anything on a platform that's kinda dead, ya might as well buy the best

and doesn't the 8320e turbo to 4ghz just like the 8320 though? I thought they were more like the Fury Nano which can get higher speeds at lower voltages