Resolve 16 Debian 10 with Rocm

I’m just making a thread explaining that Davinci Resolve 16 and Blackmagic Capture cards work on Debian 10.

On a side note Ubuntu and Pop OS! don’t seem to be able to super key game windows to other monitors. This is not the case in Debian 10 or Fedora 30.

Debian 10

Grabbing Debian 10 nonfree makes the install easy with firmware for wifi adapters and gpu

/sbin/usermod -aG sudo dp27thelight

sudo shutdown -r now

that makes sudo possible

sudo apt install libnuma-dev

sudo reboot

sudo apt-get wget

wget -qO - http://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/debian/rocm.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -

echo ‘deb [arch=amd64] http://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/debian/ xenial main’ | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rocm.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt-get -d install rocm-dev rocm-opencl-dev

sudo apt install rocm-dev rocm-opencl-dev

sudo usermod -a -G video user

echo ‘ADD_EXTRA_GROUPS=1’ | sudo tee -a /etc/adduser.conf

echo ‘EXTRA_GROUPS=video’ | sudo tee -a /etc/adduser.conf

echo ‘SUBSYSTEM==“kfd”, KERNEL==“kfd”, TAG+=“uaccess”, GROUP=“video”’ | sudo tee /etc/udev/rules.d/70-kfd.rules

reboot

/opt/rocm/bin/rocminfo

install davinci, it will crash, but then boot I suggest run in terminal first time

/opt/resolve/bin/./resolve

for capture cards

sudo apt install dkms build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

or however you like

Wine runs with LLVM 7 on stable, still have more to learn about debian, I’m curious if testing or unstable would offer better gaming performance

again, I would sudo apt-get -d install rocm-dev rocm-opencl-dev

updates can always break set ups like this, I already did a full offline install so that I can always rebuild this set up.

I got Davinci Resolve 15.3.1 working in Fedora 29 and Fedora 30 past kernel 5.2.17, but I used some proprietary opencl packages and an older addition of opencl I believe.

Maybe nobody cares, but I love this setup so they’re you go

considering all the distros dropping 32 bit, Debian keeps looking more appealing.

Technically this works in Ubuntu and Pop OS!, but those distros feel slower and had decent amount of glitches compared to Debian.

I think I’m about to delete windows 10 off my laptop and dual boot Fedora, Debian and Manjaro.

1 Like