Researchers call for large-scale scientific investigation into fake news

Trust me, they’re idiots and you might as well be arguing with the nearest wall.

1 Like

Not arguing. Discussing, that’s all.

I only argue in The Lounge on here.

You can’t have a discussion if the other person can’t listen.

No but I can learn something about what they think or know.

What you will learn is that they suspect everything you say.

I’m curious as to what your thoughts are on how to hold educators responsible, and how you balance that with human rights.

Getting rid of tenure entirely would be my starting point.

For seven years I have been extrapolating poetry and fuzzy logic from the Tao Te Ching. The NSA, Google, MS, and even the French and who knows who else, are fighting over who gets to read what I write first. That’s because my poetry is all mathematical, so mathematical that billions of people around the world instantly recognize everything I write as either better or worse than other examples they have read. It is the mathematics of nature, and a unique literary-mirror for the human psyche and soul that will throw your own crap right back in your face. I’m hoping to translate it into an interactive virtual reality medium, so I can prove to academics that they are full of shit.

A ten year cross disciplinary examination of the I-Ching concluded it is word perfect and complete for introspective purposes. The result of over six thousand years of effort.

The problem isn’t bias, but that people don’t identify/declare their PoV, and instead pretend to be ‘objective’. But asking humans why they are selectively omitting the parts that don’t make sense to them / the parts that they think are ‘irrelevant’/not worth mentioning is pretty impossible, so we also need many more people providing their take on things, which has gone the way of the dodo with the oligopolization of the news under the guise of ‘letting the market do its work’, so that we now only get the news as filtered through the eyes of big, profit-seeking, cost-minimizing corporations. Which makes for bad news gathering and reporting practices.

When one in five Americans insists the sun revolves around the earth and half of them insist on making up their own definitions for some words, the problem is that academics are doing all the talking and nobody is listening.

The problem isn’t bias, but that people don’t identify/declare their PoV, and instead pretend to be ‘objective’. But since asking humans why they are selectively omitting the parts that don’t make sense to them / the parts that they think are ‘irrelevant’/not worth mentioning is pretty impossible, we also need many more people providing their take on things, which has gone the way of the dodo with the oligopolization of the news under the guise of ‘letting the market do its work’. As a consequence, we now only get the news as filtered through the eyes of big, profit-seeking, cost-minimizing corporations. Which makes for bad news gathering and reporting practices.

As for the fact that these authors are calling for ‘working together with private industry’ to ‘teach’ people to be skeptical, when the things they want them to be skeptical don’t make any sense, and are part of a censorship program ‘justified’ by the fact that ‘Russian agents’ buying 100k in election ads swung the election and got ‘us’ Trump as opposed to Wonderful Empress Hillary: at best they are useful idiots.

Not sure that’s a wise first goal to set. One of the bigger problems we are facing is that corporations get to play off countries against one another (and that politicians play along, because of campaign funding/revolving door back scratching).
Making the countries smaller just increases their ability to divide and conquer.
First thing we need is a whole lot of deconcentration of corporate power, so that we get actual competition, instead of this place where SMEs have to compete with megacorporations who get to pay next to nothing in taxes, besides having better economies of scale. But to keep em that way, you need 2 things. 1., governing bodies who can intervene. 2., a political/professional class that believes in intervention. The former is actually mostly a non-issue, because for all their problems, states are still sovereign – it’s just that the people who make it into the governing class don’t believe in using that power. But getting people to stop believing that the “deserving” deserve to get whatever they can take, AND that the “undeserving” deserve to have taken from them whatever they have left by way of a standard of living – which is a value that’s shared by “conservatives” and “liberals” alike, thanks to the western educational system, which is intensely meritocratic – is really hard, because deeply ingrained, and intensely beneficial to the people who end up on top, with all the power.

They are organizing along the same lines as a flock of chickens, with forty years of research finally concluding that the republican party is organized along the same lines as a flock of chickens and other studies establishing that working memory is the only reliable criteria for assessing anyone’s career potential. In other words, the lights are on but nobody is home and they are merely going on memory and inertia. Derail the system, and it will rise back up again because everyone is screaming and nobody is listening.

Sorry, that metaphor doesn’t make sense to me at all. Also, people’s ‘scientific’ beliefs have always lagged, yet the great mass of (white, anyway, PoC have always been ignored) people were much better off 30-40ya than they are now, when it’s possible (thanks to containerization) to outsource all the ‘dumb’ productive labor to the other side of the world, where the chance they’ll organize is minute, repression is much easier to sell (because ‘primitives’, and you can blame whatever repressive government we keep in the saddle), and they can’t get to ‘us’, nor share a polity with ‘us’.

1 Like

Insisting the sun revolves around the earth is not their beliefs lagging behind. Continuing to vote when they almost always vote for whoever advertises the most is not a problem with their beliefs. None of them is ever actually taught how to listen or even play nice. Which is why so many of them keep asking, “Why can’t we all just get along?” And why when I point out such things they often just shrug it off as unimportant.

as misguided beliefs go, it’s much less pernicious than the belief that ‘"the market’’ fairly ‘picks’ the winners and losers, and that those who don’t end up at on the right-hand side of the bell curve can go suck it, which is a belief shared by meritocrats of all stripes (conservative or “liberal”), if you look at what they actually do (as opposed to what they pay lip service to at election times).

1 Like

This is what happen when rote memorization is taught without any understanding.

We live in a period were you can insulated yourself from other opinions. Now we want the government to do it for us.

Unfortunately, this is not isolated to any one western nation.

When a snake devours itself, it starts at the tail.

so-this-is-how-liberty-dies-with-thunderous-applause-quote-1

Ancient Rome was a widely respected, thriving, democracy for four hundred years. They lasted just as long as an empire and their transformation was every bit as dramatic as the rise of Nazi Germany. Its not their beliefs that changed, so much as, they simply enforced the pecking order much more ruthlessly. Chickens make great pets and can be quite loving, for a brainless bird, but the minute the flock becomes stressed out by starvation or predation they turn on each other, even killing those on the bottom of the pecking order. The Boston Tea Part tared and feathered a ship’s captain, who was only guilty of hauling cargo. Along the lines of attacking a bus driver, which is extremely common.

First off, it is not possible to have “fake news”. You can have, bad news, good news, correct, wrong, bias, news that is propaganda or news that is FALSE. You say “false teeth” or a “false positive” not “fake positive”. The term “fake news” appears to be the delusional idea of an illiterate individual.

Secondly “fake news” appears to be used primary to discredit credible news agencies who’s political position is in conflict with the status quo. Which leads one to deduct that possibly “fake news” is the creation of a political party used as misdirection to denounce other political opponents. I should add, as a consequence of it’s notoriety, “fake news” has also become a meme, and its use now covers a board spectrum.

Next, we have seen people in power to use misdirection to futher their cause. Not long ago the 43rd president of the USA, George W. Bush declared “War On Terror” (its not possible to wage war on ideas or verbs). However, Bush’s propaganda campaign was successful in convicing the… “grammatically challenged” americans to wage war in Iraq.

Finnally, …I have run out of patience to discuss this any further. Good god, how is it that average american is this fucking stupid, you absolutely deserve a “Ministry of Truth” like the one from George Orwell’s “1984”. As the french philosopher Joseph de Maistre put it, “Every country has the government it deserves”. It is true now more than ever since most of the world’s nations have transitioned into democracies.

People have been asking themselves for quite some time now, just how it is that Americans can be so stupid, but there is no academic consensus at this point. I suspect it is because comparing them to a flock of chickens doesn’t exactly benefit any government or corporation. That’s why I prefer to use statistics from their own academics whenever possible, who also tend to avoid making explicit comparisons to a flock of chickens. Sometimes success doth breed contempt, even among Americans.

A fake is a fake is a fake, by any other name, or counterfeiting would be pointless, Walmart would not sell “Made in America” clothing made in China, and McDonalds would not be selling hamberger’s made with 100% beef that are mostly soybeans.