WOW…Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. The problem right now I am facing (after about 4-5 months in) is with E-mails. I had set up my one segment the (post fix?) and was able to send a email from the server, but I need to findout how the server is using thst program and with what parameters. From what I gather there is proxmox monitoring disk health (I dont know if this is done regularly-so I need to find that out) and I belive that is all. I also have ZED for zfs that should be monitoring my zpools and seding emails (Via Verbose is set to 1 which should send info if drives are healthy or not) but I need to make sure that program is using the “mail” program properly. THEN I also have the IPMI for the motherboard that does monitoring…there has to be a way to funnel this data all to the same place/email report for my weekly scrubs and checks.
Right now I think it just is so much I dont know where to attack it from to get started.
This is why I have taken a step back. I think reading my refrences and those provided can help me solve the issue and learn. Right now there really is no “problem” with my server (running plex on LXC with GPU passthrough), Pi-Hole (recursive DNS-still dont understand this on, but it works), and hosting my drives with media shares, file sharing directly from proxmox with samaba sharing using a guide from on here.
I solved a lot of issues listed in [Build Log] Home lab in a box (first time trying)-x470d4u Proxmox - #10 by HaaStyleCat.
I am looking into other home services to run like RADARR SONARR? I cant remember…that might be grey area computing torenting? I avent looked that deep yet.
Mostly I had been concerned about security, but besides setting up a basic firewall on proxmox at the diffrent levels, changing ports for ssh, having strong passwords, and I tried disabling root login (did not go so well) for proxmox. Thats about all I have.
Thing I’m wanting to do next is isolate a set of personal files in a folder to only share with IP’s or MAC’s addresses I select, and let the other media be shared freely locally ONLY. I dont know if this is needed but would make me feel better as there are senstive things on the drive (IE military records/court findings/marriage certs etc.).
So thats where I am at. Sorry for the wall of text. I can get distracted (oooo shinny) or just space out due to TBI. I’m using tools like notepads and programs and apps to keep me on the right track but sadly I cant focus all day when I want so sometimes I lose my place. I keep working it though because problem solving is so much fun for me.
2 Likes