Repurpose three node HPE HC 380

Recently replaced my three node HC 380 with the newer SimpliVity. It was working great but in the three years since i bought it HPE stopped supporting it so i couldn’t add additional storage and I’m just not familiar with vSan type storage to roll my own on HPE Stor virtual.

I have three 4 bay QNAP NAS spread across campus that I’m using as targets for my Veeam Backup and other admin file repositories (TS-453U, TS-563, TS-563U) stuffed with the 10-16TB WD Red.

With this practically new hardware available and getting sucked in by all the cool high end storage videos here at L1T I want more. Wendell, I’m still recovering from your ‘there is no hardware RAID’ statement so you kind of owe me :slight_smile:

I don’t have a specific ‘goal’, its just a waste to have this much gear setting in a rack collecting dust. I would like to have a more enterprise level storage than the QNAP but I’m really open to any project to learn new skills. With the SAS drives I have, the max usable storage is only about 5TB and I’d like to be more around 30-50TB. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Ralph

The servers are DL380 Gen9:
Dual E5-2620V3
8x 16GB DDR4-2133 ~ 128GB
6x 600GB 2.5 SAS 10K rpm HDD
2x 480GB Sata SSD
Smart Array P44ar/2GB with FBWC ~ 26 channel Raid
Smart Array P840/4GB with FBWC ~ 16 channel Raid
560FLR-SFP+ ~ Dual 10G SFP

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.