Report: Nvidia Approached Arm About Acquisition

Yes, it’s about open standard overpowering Nvidia’s locked standards.

Gsync, RTX, GameWorks, Tesselation, those things are not 2005, dude.

Well yeah, the same way Nvidia now supports Freesync.

You do know this is a discussion thread entirely opinion based and typing all caps with large font is basically yelling and screaming… Why are you screaming?

Other open source stuff Nvidia has created or supports:

1 Like

the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize…

Good job! You know your computing history!

You still have a very 2005 perspective.

That sounds subjective based on your emotional attachment to other companies. RIP in RIP

NO. THEY ARE EVIL.

Please note, the above is just a joke. I do not think a silicon company is evil. I am just kidding. Do not take the above post serious.

nvidia buying ARM would actually be a brilliant move on their part. The see the writing on the wall. x86 is ugly and scary.

1 Like

Why does AMD hate open source?

It was a good run, though.

1 Like

Wait does open source only happen in Github now?

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-NVIDIA-Intel-Kernel-Contrib

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-Contributions-2010s-Kern

Nvidia is still working through the last stages of the Mellanox aquisition process, I’m not sure how adding ARM really helps them in the short term unless they are looking for the patents. They have also been somewhat hands off with Mellanox up to this point so them acquiring ARM doesn’t mean arm will change overnight. I’m more interested to see if there would be some kind regulator kerfuffle over them trying to acquire it.

No but you using one project to illustrate a point doesn’t do much.

Also:

So, yes, open source only happens in GitHub.

For those of you getting your panties in a twist, did you read the original article?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-22/softbank-s-chip-company-arm-is-said-to-attract-nvidia-interest

First of all, it’s Bloomberg. You know, the liars that said Supermicro was infiltrated by China despite there not being any evidence, and then proceeded to double down on their retardation?

Second of all, the article mentions that Nvidia merely expressed an interest. It goes on to mention that several other private investors have expressed interest in the acquisition.

Green Team still bad but they ain’t done nothing yet.

But yes, keep crying about PhysX and G-Sync.

You certainly aren’t wrong here, from an outside perspective of other technologies reliant on ARM. I guess I question why they’d be buying ARM if it was just a chip-shipping thing. Surely the bottleneck there is going to be expensive TSMC orders. That’s why I think they must have another plan to make money from ARM. If they pay, 30-50 billion for ARM, and then ship marginally more chips than they do now, it just doesn’t make sense. So likely they’ll continue to work with clients to license the technology.

That said, Nvidia does love artificial segmentation, so I could see them pulling some stupid stunts with that. (see stereo 3d support with GeForce on Linux, or virtualization licenses with Quadro, etc)

I guess it depends on what sector. I doubt they’re anywhere near Apple in terms of CPU design, and they don’t have the software layer to put on top for general purpose compute that Apple does, so getting people to switch to what, Windows ARM? Probably not going to happen. So my guess is they’re continuing going after integrated SoCs with Ampere+ GPUs that they’re going to embed into vehicles and appliances, or possibly make a datacenter package since Linux aarch64 has come a long way.

Absolutely. I could see licensing fees going up, and some artificial segmentation happening. I do highly doubt that nvidia is stupid enough to jack prices up and shut down accessibility though, because that seems like a pretty surefire way to go belly up on a acquisition that really doesn’t give them any more manufacturing capacity than they already have, and are bottlenecked by. But yeah I’m in agreeance that there are certainly some unknowns here and the situation could end up slightly worse for ARM licensees than it is right now. However, I don’t think it’s going to be a doomsday scenario because I don’t see any way nvidia can do that and still extract the value they’d need to justify their purchase of ARM.

1 Like

Yeah well this topic goes nowhere this way.

I will see and consider if it is worth cleaning up to get it back on the track again.
But at this point probably not really.

Good job guys!

It’s official

2 Likes

They can now be vertically integrated in the data centers.

Yeah pretty nuts, make Arm Cores to interface directly with GPUs and connect the whole lot together with Mellanox Infiniband.

Wasn’t there a whole other thread created because this got locked?

It’s ok I can make a fresh one.

Lol, I was not advocating many more threads for the same thing, just that a replacement was already going:

Oh I missed that one.

1 Like