Replacing Sun Ultra 45 motherboard w/ New MB?

So, this one is a bit strange, but I have found an old Sun Ultra 45 workstation. This model has 2 Sparc 3i CPUs and thus not something that I really want to play around with.

However, the case is pretty awesome. So, I'm wondering if anyone has ever refurbished one these guys before. I'm going to be measuring everything out in a bit, and hope that I'll be able to fit what I want into the case.

Yes, it's a big case and yes i can just take a hak saw to it. But then I would be destroying what makes it a great case. I want to keep the internals as untouched as I can.

Anyway, any advice would be most welcomed.

Cheers!

Alright, the motherboard tray is w = 11 inches by l = 14.5 inches. More than enough room for an ATX motherboard.

Might have to adjust the tray a little to make sure that it lines up with the expansion slots and the back plate, but that isn't that bad. Not bad at all.

I am a little worried about the poser supply. Have not seen any other power supplies like this one, thats to be expected though.

Any concerns with using the existing power supply? or upgrading its capcity with a replacement of the same make?

The PSU would likely have been rated to 1000watts or similar. It won't however have been designed with items like modern GPU's in mind, it is also likely to be around 10 years old. Personally I wouldn't want to use that with anything expensive.

In case you have not already found it the manual is here: https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19127-01/ultra25.ws/819-1892-12/819-1892-12.pdf

What are you intending to put in there? Proper PC kit or something small that could run OpenIndiana (the FOSS descendent of Solaris)?

Post up photos when you are done, I love seeing what people do with old workstations :slight_smile:

hey - im thinking about cracking open the power supply and replacing its internals.

I'm hoping to build a Ryzen system. I know I can get a case for cheap, but this case is just really interesting. And holly crap balls is it heavy!

1 Like